Nexus 10 Charger

morddwyd 01:08 31 Dec 2013

How do I recognize my Nexus 10 charger?

Like most, I have half a dozen or more mains USB chargers where the USB cable plugs into the charger, and now I've got them mixed up and I can't identify the one for the Nexus.

They;re pretty much interchangeable, of course, but I want to use it with the Pogo cable, which heeds the supplied charger (I understand there are safety issues).

Can anyone help, or point me to a really good image?

tullie 08:59 31 Dec 2013

I think,from memory,that mine says Nexus on the top of it.

morddwyd 09:59 31 Dec 2013

Thanks. I think mine said Samsung, and I've got four of those!

tullie 10:46 31 Dec 2013

My error,mine is a 7

Batch 11:56 31 Dec 2013

I've run in to similar issues - now "solved" by sticking a small piece of paper saying what it is under a strip of Sellotape somewhere on the charger.

And it can matter which charger you use. Although (I reckon that) all chargers that use USB cables should be 5 volts as that is the standard USB voltage (although my Samsung camera one is rated at 4.4v), my Nexus 7 one (from Asus) is 5v, but a whopping 2 amps (standard USB2 is 500mA and USB3 is 900mA).

Using a lower ampage charger (than recommended) may still work but just be slow at charging (and struggle to fully charge?). Although if the voltage isn't stable it may not work well as the voltage can reduce under heavy load.

bumpkin 11:58 31 Dec 2013

I would suggest that you look at the output ratings and use the highest one unless they are all the same of course.

rdave13 15:27 31 Dec 2013

output voltage is DC 5 V, 2 A. From here.

morddwyd 18:40 31 Dec 2013

Thank you all.

As I said in my original post, they are all pretty much interchangeable, give or take an hour or so in charging time, but I want to use the Pogo cable, and safety issues have been reported using the wrong charger.

The Nexus 10 is a notoriously slow charger, even with KIT Kat, and Pogo can improve this by up to 25% (though usually much less) so I want to give it a try.

bumpkin 19:09 31 Dec 2013

A lot of chargers are interchangeable but what you need to look at is the output power, the adapters can look identical. The output should be written somewhere on it. The Pogo as I understand it charges faster so will therefore take more power hence my suggestion to use the one with the highest output. If you use an underpowered one it will not charge any faster and may overheat which I think is the safety issue.

morddwyd 09:42 01 Jan 2014

I don't think it has anything to do with the rating.

Pogo does not actually plug in physically, and the wrong charger may well generate high (or perhaps low, just as dangerous) resistance problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:43 01 Jan 2014

Looking on Google it appears that its only the cable that is different (magnetically held to the - port connections not micro USB) and therefore the only difference a different charge will make is the rate of charge.

As the original charger is quite high at 2A (and most other USB chargers are lower rated, therefore will take longer to charge the device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires