Next Gen requirements

Michael Kelly 23:13 13 Feb 2007

Hi,

I am looking to play next-gen gaming titles but my system (Athlon 2100 overclocked to 2700 running @ 2.2ghz clock speed, 1GB DDR ram running @ 333mhz, AGP ATI 1650 pro 512mb DDR2) is rapidly becoming outdated and my motherboard only supports single core Athlon XP processors upto 3000 and AGP video cards.

Strangly though, I can run most current titles at high video settings with anti-aliasing on high.

Is there, or will there be any future support for AGP DX 10 video cards as Crysis and other such titles require DX10 specific cards to peform well.

Thanks,
Michael

gudgulf 23:30 13 Feb 2007

I assume you are meaning,is there going to be any DirectX 10 capable AGP cards,here.

If so the answer is probably yes.....Manufacturers would love everyone to move over to the latest hardware,but there is a very large user base with decently specified agp based systems (my own included).I'm sure that DX10 agp cards will eventually be available.

But already the top flight AGP cards around are reaching the limit of what agp is capable of.I have a Gainward 7800GS+ and ATI have released the X1950pro on agp.Both thesae cards can push agp 8x to the limit.

See this review click here

I strongly suspect that the real answer is that to do justice to games like Crysis you will need to upgrade to PCI-e and the latest hardware.

Any agp DirectX 10 cards will be aimed at allowing VISTA to run to it's full potentialon older hardware....the gaming graphics cards will be needing more bandwidth than agp 8x can provide.

Time for you (and me,lol) to start saving up!

Michael Kelly 11:35 14 Feb 2007

Certainly is lol. Hmmm...do like the look of the Alienware Area 51-alx....only £3500 xD

Michael Kelly 11:36 14 Feb 2007

Ooh, and that's without all of the upgrades I'd want xDxD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?