NEW(old) PC, PCI PROBLEMS

luvnotmoney 01:09 09 Sep 2006

hi ive got an old secondhand p4 2ghz, radeon7800 box, it had win2000 installed but with no disks at all supplied.

so i decided to install win 98se on it which went fine except i forgot to check out the device manager to see what drivers/make the soundcard etc were before formatting hdd.

now their are no drivers installed at all for these cards and just the question mark in device manager, add new h/w wont tell me the make/company of the pci cards

i dl'd a program called 'SIW'suggested on this thread:
click here

but 'SIW' also only finds an unknown device when viewing and wont tell me the make of soundcard etc

how can i find out the manufacturers of the 3 pci cards?

many thanks

Input Overload 01:59 09 Sep 2006
  mad1234 10:52 09 Sep 2006

just bookmarking this for future reference

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:08 09 Sep 2006

PC inventory takers :-
Belarc click here
Fresh Diagnose click here
SIW click here
SiSandra click here
System Spec click here
Winaudit click here

Anyone of the above will identify all equipment install in our PC.

ed-0 11:13 09 Sep 2006

" what drivers/make the soundcard etc "

If these are integrated into the motherboard, i.e. on-board sound > on-board lan > on board graphics. All you would need would be the make and model of the motherboard. You could then download the drivers for these from the manufacturers web site.

luvnotmoney 18:31 09 Sep 2006

thanks alot people,

well ive opened up the pc last nite and yes
'ed-o' the sound is in fact integrated. the soundcard that windows finds as uninstalled is actually an very small 'asus' digital in-out spdif card. no more info is available but i guess its not that important for my needs so i could lift it out

the modem card and usb card will need drivers but if these inventory takers work well it should sort those too

i'll checkout the mobo then and let u know what happens

thanks again

luvnotmoney 22:20 09 Sep 2006

ok, ive now detected the mobo and it's an :ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4B533 REV 1.xx

found the audio drivers 4 mobo on the asus site but how/where do i install them? as they are just a bunch of files in a folder with no exe's. couldnt find any info on website

problem is if i try to install them using add new h/ware i,m actually instaling these drivers into the afore metioned 'pci digital spdif' card which windows thinks is my sound card(pci card only has digi in and out)but i only have onboard integrated sound capabilities

so how do i install drivers 4 mobo's integrated sound?

ed-0 22:44 09 Sep 2006

Download the drivers to the desktop.

Open device manager, right click the items with yellow exclamation marks and now pick un-install.

Switch off the computer and take out the 'pci digital spdif' card .

restart the computer, it will find new hardware. Point it to the folder > drivers > XP and let them install.

Or just click the exe in the folder.

terryf 22:55 09 Sep 2006

>

luvnotmoney 23:46 09 Sep 2006

'perfect' thanks ed-o

taking out the spdif card worked a treat

add new h/ware installed the files no problem
and i now have sound

many thanks again mate

ed-0 00:43 10 Sep 2006

Thats OK.

Glad you have it working ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone