newly installed ram problem

jolorna 20:32 18 Mar 2008

have just installed 2 x 1 gig sticks from crucial the memory shows ok in my computer properties but on a start up memory test it counts up to the amount installed & then start counting it all again, win xp home sp2

skidzy 21:25 18 Mar 2008

What test are you using ? Memtest ?

jolorna 21:34 18 Mar 2008

no i haven't used mem test the ram shows ok installed in my computer properties but its when i shut down and reinstall it the mem test runs up to the full 2 gig and then goes back and starts counting again i can press esc to cancel the ram count if im at the computer but if it was to reboot itself after a power cut then it would just keep counting and recounting and not re
loading the system

jolorna 21:43 18 Mar 2008

will look back in again tomorrow off to bed now

mikeben121 22:45 18 Mar 2008

Do you mean the POST memory test is doing this?

That would indicate an issue with the memory.

You can set the BIOS to do a quick memory test on a lot of BIOSes. Just look for the option in BIOS.

DieSse 22:52 18 Mar 2008

What it's doing is perfectly normal. The full RAM test will run through all the RAM two or three times (depending on the BIOS).

If you want to stop the test altogether, go into the BIOS and set "Quick Power On Self Test" (or similar) to Enabled.

jolorna 07:19 19 Mar 2008

DieSse thanks for that your correct i watched it and it ran 3 times as you said it could do, mikeben121 yes it was the post memory test my fault for not explaining it properly, as there is no problem i would rather not mess with the BIOS,
will tick resolved and thanks for the help everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?