Newly installed NEC DVD writer not recognised

NormanD 16:00 18 Jun 2003

Hello all
I've just purchased & installed an NEC ND1300 DVD writer and though it will playback I can'y write to it. It came with Nero 5.5 but as I already had this installed I didn't re-install. The first screen on the Nero write wizard has options for VCD / CD / DVD but only CD id available the other two options are greyed out. I installed the drive as a replacement for a DVD ROM unit and just swapped the leads over from one unit to the next (checked that new set to Master as was old unit)However the lead that connects from the back of the new unit to the PCI board has two connectors at the board end where the old unit had only one, and this extra lead doesn't get a mention in the instructions. Running Windows 98SE. Any help gladly accepted. Many thanks Norman

SEASHANTY 16:13 18 Jun 2003

Haven't yet got a dvd writer but I presume your problem is caused by lack of drivers. The NEC dvd writer wasn't out when Windows 98SE was released so presume it doesn't have them. Maybe you should check out availability at NEC website or at Microsoft. Maybe somebody will come up with the correct info for you soon.

-pops- 16:17 18 Jun 2003

As this writer is a new model (I have on myself) it is vital to have the latest Nero version to be able to recognise it. Update your Nero at click here

If you already have a legit version, the download is free.

Brian

-pops- 16:20 18 Jun 2003

Don't worry about odd dangling wires/connectors from the drive. The ones you need are the power (4 pin) and the IDE (40 pin).

Ensure you have didital audio enabled in drive manager.

Brian

clipperton 16:20 18 Jun 2003

I've read elsewhere that people aren't finding Nero any good for burning DVDs. I have the Sony drive & have found MyDVD, Recordnow & Pinnacle Studio v8 all work fine- our local PC store is giving out demo discs of latter - hope this is of some help.

-pops- 16:21 18 Jun 2003

didital? One better than digital!!;-))

NormanD 20:27 18 Jun 2003

SEASHANTY / -pops- / clipperton
Many thanks for your replies. I've just successfully burnt a DVD using my Pinnacle software. I'll check if my Nero is running the latest version and if it is then I'll ask Nero for their help.

Thanks again

Norman

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?