Newly connected - how do I get relevent patches

six-h 09:27 19 Apr 2007

My computer is 3/4 years old,service pack2 installed from PCA/MS disk dated Nov 2004,I must need millions of updates. How do I ensure I get all those that are important and select those which are pertinent. Having visited the Microsoft website and allowed it to scan my machine the only proffered update was for "Publisher" which I don't think I have! so it didn't exactly fill me with confidence!

Taff™ 09:30 19 Apr 2007

Start>All Programs> Microsoft Updates (at the top of the column. Install all the Critical Updates and leave the software one`s for the moment. Keep returning because there will be updates of updates if you see what I mean. Post back!

Technotiger 09:35 19 Apr 2007

Hi, you might not need as many as you think. How long was pc NOT on-line, and how long since pc was re-connected? Do you have automatic updates set?
If so and pc has been reconnected at least over-night, updates may have been automatically installed already.

six-h 10:00 19 Apr 2007

Thanks for that folks, I've switched off automatic updates as I thought I would like some measure of control especially since the computer has never been connected before!

Technotiger 10:07 19 Apr 2007

Right - btw Publisher is just part of M'soft Word software. Are you sure you scanned for XP updates not just M'soft software updates.

birdface 10:17 19 Apr 2007

Hi,If you have just reformated the computer,You will have to register it with Microsoft giving the keycode that should be on the coa sticker on the side or back of the computer,They normally give you 30 days to register,Or you need to download the genuine advantage tool to proceed.If it has not been reformated it may be set to automatically download like technotiger said.Best thing to do to find out is run Microsoft up-date again,and when finished scanning,check previous updates,i think it also gives you the dates when they were installed,There were at least 6 things downloaded from microsoft last week so they should be in there,And the only other problem that I can think of ,is that maybe you have not got a legal copy of Windows XP on your computer,

Spark6 10:17 19 Apr 2007

Install click here and it will show you what is installed to date. Check the date of the last update!

Spark6 10:21 19 Apr 2007

An 'illegal' copy is not prevented from accessing critical updates.

birdface 10:41 19 Apr 2007

Yes I think I got a few things wrong sorry,Has the computer never been used on the internet before,Or has it just been rested for a few years.I am probably wrong but I dont think you can get critical up-dates if your computer is not registerd within the 30 days that they give you,Or everyone would be using pirate coppies.I am not suggesting that this is a pirate copy I was just wondering if it had been registerd,

Stuartli 11:18 19 Apr 2007

The simplest way is to use AutoPatcher's latest monthly version:

click here

There's also the 94.4MB Vista version at:

click here

six-h 14:26 19 Apr 2007

Stuartli, Thanks for that, You may remember me asking about routers, and that I eventually went with "dipso's" suggestion of a speedtouch from DSLdepot.I've now installed it hence the need for updates for my O.S. Wonder if you would cast your eye over this on going thread : - "Wow such luxury! - but a problem!" last response 10:16 today. sorry I don't know how to create a link to it.
buteman, Yes, three years it has taken me to first venture onto the net from home!! I'm sure my O.S. is legal, I just switched off auto update when I installed SP2 as I wasn't connected, and now fear the flood of updates I'm going to get if I give it free reign!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?