Newlink Router IP Address?

seanquinn 20:26 02 Sep 2006

I want to instal a NewLink wireless router which I got from my son (he bought it and never used it). However the setup disc has been lost and NewLink don't seem to offer a manual download service.

I have set up a Belkin router for a friend and know that you can "talk" to it if you type in its IP address (that one was 192.168.2.1). The NewlInk router doesn't answer to this address so I wonder if anyone out there knows what the address might be?

I hope that if I can get into the setup menu I could get it going OK.

FelixTCat 21:53 02 Sep 2006

seanquinn,

There are a number of "standard" addresses you could try, e.g. 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.254, 192.168.1.1 etc but the best way, if you have connected your pc to the router, is to open a cmd window by clicking on Start, then Run and typing cmd in the window and pressing Enter.

In the cmd window, type ipconfig and press Enter. After a short wait, a table of addresses will appear. The address of the router is that given as the Default Gateway.

Type this into your browser address bar and you should be able to enter the router's setup pages.

Regards,

Felix

seanquinn 20:21 03 Sep 2006

Thanks Felix - that's exactly the information I needed.

seanquinn 21:27 03 Sep 2006

After typing IPCONFIG as suggested the list came up with no "Default Gateway" address showing at all i.e. blank !
There are 4 items in the list:
Connection Specific IP suffix is also blank
IP Address is: 81.101.28.153
Subnet Mask is:255.255.252.0
and Default Gateway: nothing !
What does that tel me ( and yes, the Router IS connected to the PC by one of the four available ethernet ports)

Strawballs 00:19 04 Sep 2006

I have just done a netgear for a neighbour and the instructions were click here which worked

seanquinn 17:52 05 Sep 2006

IPCONFIG/ALL gave me this. Is there anything here which might be a clue as to why the Router won't tell us its IP address?
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sean>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FREDBUILD
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit
Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-7C-7D-B6
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.55.156
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

FelixTCat 18:45 05 Sep 2006

seanquinn,

In your Sun post you said you got the following:

IP Address is: 81.101.28.153
Subnet Mask is:255.255.252.0

81.101.28.153 looks like an IP address for your ISP. To get that, you were probably connected through the router without NAT (Network Address Translation) a way of allowing a number of pcs to use one internet connection.

Your posting today of the following:

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.55.156
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

shows that your router is not acting as a DHCP server, i.e. issuing network IP addresses.

Both of these circumstances can be set within the router in its setup pages, but if you can't access them, it's difficult to change them.

What I would suggest is that you disconnect the router from the internet, connect the pc and repeat the ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew process and check for a Default Gateway.

If you still get no Default Gateway, you would be best to reset the router to its defaults (normally by pressing and holding in a small button at the back - it will probably be marked "Reset" or similar) and when it has rebooted, try the ipconfig process again. default settings usually include initiating the DHCP server.

Then enter the router's setup pages (login and password are commonly admin/admin or admin/password) and enter your ISP's username and password to gain internet connection.

Regards,

Felix

seanquinn 19:07 06 Sep 2006

Thanks Felix for staying with me on this. Release/renew plus resetting the device manually gotme into the setup menu (admin/admin as you suggested). I am showing the latest report from IPCONFIG/ALL. I have not changed any of the router's settings yet except the time, but I still can't get to the Internet through the router. Have a look at the following and see if there is any obvious block to the Internet connection or what might it be. I know from reading other posts that this is a very common problem. Your firther help appreciated:
C:\Documents and Settings\Sean>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FREDBUILD
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit
Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-7C-7D-B6
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 06 September 2006 16:48:50
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 13 September 2006 16:48:50

What do you think of the "Lease" thing ?

FelixTCat 23:59 06 Sep 2006

seanquinn,

I'm pleased that it's working for you now. Your ipconfig printout shows that the DHCP server of the router is operating and that it has issued an IP address of 192.168.1.100 to your pc. That number is a little surprising because routers' DHCP servers usually are set to issue numbers close to the server's IP address, but it doesn't matter much.

Don't worry about the lease time; it is simply the time until the router's DHCP server will reissue IP addresses, i.e. your pc will retain that address until that date and time. In all likelihood, at that time it will be reissued with the same address with the lease expiry set to 20 September at 16:48:50. There is normally a setting within the router to change the lease length.

You can only set the router to log you on to the internet if it is a modem router. The easiest way to tell is if it has a socket on the back for a phone line. Otherwise you will need a separate adsl modem.

If it is a modem router, to get an internet connection you will have to go into the router's setup pages, find the page for adsl setup (internet setup) and put in your ISP's username and password. With some routers you have to save any changes (sometimes on a completely different page), others save automatically. If it doesn't save automatically you will lose any changes you make next time you restart the router.

Regards,

Felix

seanquinn 00:20 07 Sep 2006

Thanks for the continued help, Felix. I have cable broadband from NTL and the cable modem, normally linked to my PC via Ethernet, connects automatically each time Windows starts.

With the modem cable conected to the WAN port of the router and the PC connected to LAN port No. 1 (there are four) I am not getting through to the web. Is this a DNS problem ?

I am not sure if there is any setting in the router to change to achieve this or if there needs to be a change in the PC settings. I haven't enabled the router's own firewall, but I have Windows Firewall and ZoneAlarm both "on" on the PC.
Sean

seanquinn 02:09 07 Sep 2006

Thsio showed up while examining the Router's default settings:

WAN
MAC Address 00-40-F4-D2-6D-F9
Connection: DHCP client Disconnected
IP: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DNS :

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?