Newgroups

kwertyuk 21:56 07 Aug 2006

I have Telewest (now NTL:telewest i think), i heard theres a service called newgroups with downloads and chat.

Anyone know how to activate/use this?

FelixTCat 23:14 07 Aug 2006

kwertyuk,

I think you mean Newsgroups; they are not quite like chatrooms, but act in a somewhat similar way. There are about 100,000 newsgroups on a wide range of subjects, not all in English.

You need to know your ISP's newsgroup server address (usually something like news.ntlworld.com, but your ISP should tell you) or use a public newsgroup server such as news.astraweb.com

You also need a news client, i.e. a program which understands newsgroups. Whilst Outlook Express can do this, you might be better off with a dedicated program. My favourite is Forte Agent, a free program from click here

Start up whichever program you wish and first it will want to download the list of newsgroups carried by the server you select; then you choose the newsgroups to which you wish to subscribe and download what is called headers, e.g. the subject lines of posts. Then you can browse, respond or whatever you wish.

Good luck,

Felix

johnnyrocker 23:25 07 Aug 2006

as an e mail address for 'responses' it might be wise to use a dummy address as newsgroups are rife with spam collectors.

johnny.

Jak_1 01:02 08 Aug 2006

It all depends on what you want from newsgroups as to whether they are useful. My experience is that I can usually get better info, and safer, at forums like this and newsgroups are often littered with viruses and trojans!
A case of 'caveat emptor' so to speak. A google search will usually find a good forum on the subject you wish to follow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?