newbie to wireless networking

daxian 20:47 30 Jul 2006

hi all.....
some basic questions from a newbie ...
1. is it ok to unplug an ethernet cable with the system and router still on ,or must all be off .

2 . once all is set up for wireless is it just a matter of looking in network places for the other machine ...as in a wired setup crossover cable situation.
and will i need printer software on both machines for printer sharing.

ade.h 20:54 30 Jul 2006

1. Yes, generally.

2. Not quite. You have to browse for it, having first created IP address-based rules in the client firewalls to allow said browsing to take place.

mgmcc 21:33 30 Jul 2006

If you are familiar with "File & Printer Sharing" with two computers connected by crossover cable then, once you have the computers connected to the router, either by ethernet cable or wirelessly, the procedure is no different.

daxian 22:26 30 Jul 2006

hi thanks for the replies....
1. is it ok to unplug an ethernet cable with the system and router still on ,or must all be off .

yes generally.

is that on or off???
Dave.

ade.h 22:35 30 Jul 2006

On. They are hot-pluggable.

daxian 09:51 31 Jul 2006

hi again ...thanks for the replies.....
I may be back to pick your brains again as i move through setting up of my wireless router/modem..glad you people are here it makes things so much easier .
just reading through all posts on here has given me so much help in understanding the setting up of wireless .....and knowing expert advice is close at hand fills me with confidence.
keep up the good work guys !!!Dave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?