Newbie needs help installing gfx card

Kanikuman 19:23 26 Aug 2007

Hello! I am new to this forum and have a bit of a problem.

I was recently playing a game, and my screen went blank, monitor was fine and I could hear sound, so my graphics card has finally died. I have bought a new one, a X1650 PRO AGP and I really need help installing it. It states I have to plug it into my hard drive and power supply, but I'm confused as there are so many cables. It came with quite a lot too, but I presume I only need to use the one with three plastic plugs on the end, the molex pin one.

Could anyone help guide me through installing this card as I am a total newbie at doing it, and am stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I hope to hear from you soon.

ICF 19:35 26 Aug 2007

You should copy the installed card.Take a note of how your old card is fitted and then just replace it with the new one.Sometimes you need to plug in a four pin power lead to the card so it gets it's own power from the PSU

Terry Brown 19:40 26 Aug 2007

Normally the card goes direct into the AGP slot on the motherboard, the power supply question sounds like it needs it's own extra suply from the motherboard and I am guessing that the various cables are different fittings for different boards, choose the one tat suits your board and ignore the rest.
Terry

ICF 19:43 26 Aug 2007

You should copy the installed card.Take a note of how your old card is fitted and then just replace it with the new one.Sometimes you need to plug in a four pin power lead to the card so it gets it's own power from the PSU

click here

click here

click here

Trackrat 19:52 26 Aug 2007

Looking at the card you have just brought, It does not require plugging in to your hard drive or power supply.
Before you do anything go to Add & Remove and uninstall the graphics card drivers (dont worry about this as Windows drivers will give you basic drivers for video, Shut your computer down.
Next disconnect the monitor cable from your graphics card.
Now take the side of your computer, locate the graphics card, which will be held in by one screw, take the screw completely out then look at the other end of the graphics card slot to see if there is a retaining clip ( some are moved to the side, some are pulled up) to release the graphics card, then gently pull the card out.

Now put your new card in, replace the screw, put the side back on.

Start your computer and the new found hard ware wizard should detect the card and ask you for the driver disk.

If it does not, click start / right click My Computer / left click Properties / click Hardware / click Device Manager / click Display adapter / click Driver / click update driver put spot in Not this time / click next / put your driver disk in and click next.

Kanikuman 20:49 26 Aug 2007

I have installed it into the AGP slot fine, but it requires connecting to the PSU as it isn't just drawing power from the motherboard. The molex pin goes into the graphics card (smallest) and has two other molex pins attached, that are much larger, and one says GP and has a space to slot something in, while the other looks like it slots into a larger pin. I know I need to plug it into my PSU but I have like 20 cables coming out and I'm not sure which one will work.

I can't use my PC as I get no picture on the monitor, yet the power light remains on the monitor and I can hear everything like windows loading, just not see it. That's why I bought a new card. I need to figure out which molex pin from the PSU the gx card one fits in to.

woodchip 20:53 26 Aug 2007

Before you unplug or plug anything in, Turn The Wall Socket Plug OFF As there is still power at the Motherboard When the Computer is switched off. This is not for your safety but to stop you blowing anything else

brundle 21:02 26 Aug 2007

If it's like this; click here

The power connector is at the top right - you will find the plug to fit is the same kind that fits your floppy drive. Most PSUs have two of those connectors. Otherwise use the adapter to take the power from a molex connector; click here

The one on the right of the above image.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires