Newbie needs advice on Pop-ups please.

lpasso 15:31 21 Aug 2006

When I go on any website, I have started to get annoying pop-ups,,, the main one being:
c:\program files/common files/symantec shared\main.exe.
When I click this off, I get another one saying:
n main.exe.
When I click this off, I get several more,,,, & as I click one off,,, another appears. After deleting these about 8\9\10 times, they stop, and I can carry on to my destination.
These seem to be initiated by Symantec/Norton.
This has been happening for a couple of weeks now,,, & I can't recall adding or deleting anything at that time.
Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks

brundle 15:41 21 Aug 2006

click here

try an antispyware sweep click here

skidzy 15:43 21 Aug 2006

If you have to use Norton,maybe uninstalling and a fresh install of Norton may do the trick.However uninstalling Norton can be tricky.There is an uninstall procedure from symantec,but you will have to post the correct version you have.

Personally i would uninstall Norton and go with AVG free version with Zonealarm free version Firewall,these work well together as im sure most on here will agree.

Hope this helps.

lpasso 17:40 21 Aug 2006

Many thanks indeed for your help, I will try to uninstall Norton as you said and will go to AVG free version. I am away for a few days but when I return home on Friday will try then and will let you know how it went, thanks agin much appreciated. lpasso

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone