Newbie building first PC

necreoinphreak 00:53 04 Aug 2007

Hello everyone, I've never built a PC from the ground up before, and I'm not that savvy on what's what in the PC world. I get a bit confused trying to figure out specs, and compatibility. Anyway, here's what I've picked out:

click here

Along with a Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme CPU Cooler since I would like to overclock the CPU.

I'm looking for any advice or recommendations.

Thanks in advance,

Eoin

necreoinphreak 02:21 04 Aug 2007

Had to edit my post, I've changed the hard drive.

click here

Si_L 02:50 04 Aug 2007

Looks good, components are on the expensive side. Hunt around and you could save a fortune.

necreoinphreak 07:04 04 Aug 2007

Thanks for the info. I searched around and found a few sites that gave me slightly lower prices (up to $10 less) but nothing too serious.

Do you mean I can find the same brand components at a lower price? Or components of a different brand that are equal to those I've chosen but are less expensive?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Totally-braindead 13:25 04 Aug 2007

Are you based in the US as all the prices are in dollars?

ambra4 19:02 04 Aug 2007

Totally-braindead

He is base in the US as tigerdirect is a US base equipment supplier, does not ship overseas

necreoinphreak 23:08 04 Aug 2007

Thank you ambra, yes I'm in the US.

I've tried to do some digging, but I can't find the same components at lower prices than those.

Any help is welcome, and thank you in advance.

ambra4 00:44 05 Aug 2007

Necreoinphreak

I also buy from tiger direct as my son live in the US so I ship it to him.

I don’t thing you will find a site with cheaper prices, if you do the shipping & handling charges that some of these company want to charge you is outrageous. Never had and problems with tiger direct

I would change the hard drive to a Sata type drive as the motherboard only has 1 IDE connection and 4 SATA connections

Also make sure that the power supply unit also have Sata type power connections, if not you will have to buy a Sata power adapter.

I would go for a higher speed memory Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory as motherboard can handle DDR2 533/667/800/1200MHz SLI-Ready Memory

Personal I would use the Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz / 4MB Cache / 1333MHz FSB / Conroe / Dual-Core / Socket 775 / Processor with Fan and it is only $10 more

You will need to buy 2- 80mm fans, as case does not have any case fans and replace the Adjustable CPU Air Duct with a fan

If you can also find a Sata DVD burner, this allow you to use the IDE socket at a later date if required

Other than the above don’t see any other thing you should worry about

necreoinphreak 04:46 06 Aug 2007

Thanks for the advice, I think I've picked out my setup now. Thanks again.

Eoin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?