Newbie at building computers, couple of ques!

alexgray104 17:11 09 Jan 2007

Hi,

I have spent the day building my first computer. Everything has gone pretty much to plan except for a few things. 1)I have in my case an onboard speaker, but on the motherboard there is no socket for it, I have just left it disconnected, is this ok?? 2)Is it usual to have to apply a lot of force to get the cooler into place on a sckt775 celeron?? 3)Does the celeron need the Processor power lead connected to it, or is this just P4?? 4)The most odd one - I have bought a Mitsumi black floppy drive and when mounted in the case none of the fixing holes on either side match the holes in the case, therefore i cannot mount it. Is this normal?? Also what do you think I should do to rectify the problem?? a)Drill holes in case or b)buy different brand floppy drive, such as a Sony (or will the holes be in the same place rendering that method pointless).

Thanks very much in advance for your help, hopefully be able to boot it soon and install Windows!

Cheers,

Alex

Gongoozler 17:28 09 Jan 2007

Hi alexgray104.
1. Tell me what motherboard you have, and I'll see if I can find the answer regarding the speaker. Not using a speaker will only stop you hearing the POST beep, however it's quite possible that the motherboard has a piezo speaker fitted. They are quite small so you might have one and not spot it.
2. Processor coolers do need a lot of force to fit. I have no experience of socket 775, but the secret is to get sufficient pressute to fit the clip without risking the tool you are using slipping and damaging the motherboard.
3. Again I don't know your processor, but the motherboard manual should tell you. If there's a motherboard connector, then I would expect it to need the power lead.
4. I haven't come across a case that doesn't have the holes for the floppy drive screws, but these days makers don't generally expect floppy drives to be fitted. I would drill the holes in the case if there's somewhere you can do that.

alexgray104 17:51 09 Jan 2007

Yeh i'm with you on the floppy drive - I never use them anymore, sticking to my flash stick, but I still have quite a few files on floppy disk's that I have never got round to putting on my hard drive / cd's, so I thought I'd better put one in just in case I ever need it for these old files.

Cheers for the reply, still wondering whether to drill or buy a new floppy :S

Thanks

Alex

alexgray104 17:53 09 Jan 2007

Oh and I forgot! motherboard is MSI PM8M3-V and processor is Intel Celeron 2.66ghz LGA775. Thanks.

thms 17:55 09 Jan 2007

1: I have a foxconn skt 775 and it has a built in speaker, don't know what type you have.

2: Coolers can be a pain to fit. As has been mentioned take care not to damage board.

3: Would think you need to connect power lead.

4: Have you got the floppy the right way up. All floppy drives have standard hole positions. Try sliding backwards and forwards you may be able to match some holes. Also in some cases the floppy can be mounted using the holes on the bottom.

If you end up drilling holes ensure the case is empty and clean out any cutttings as this may short out your board.

Rtus 18:01 09 Jan 2007

The on board speaker header is usually combined with the front panel switchs/HD led headers you will find all this data in the motherboard manual.if you havent got one with the box check the driver Cd that usually comes along with the motherboard sometimes also added as pdf on it...

alexgray104 18:02 09 Jan 2007

Hi, Thanks for your reply thms, the floppy is round the right way and I aswell, initially thought i could just move it around a little bit until it lined up, but I had to move the floppy foward about an inch outside the case just for the holes to line up!!

Rtus 18:03 09 Jan 2007

The on board speaker header is usually combined with the front panel switchs/HD led headers you will find all this data in the motherboard manual.if you havent got one with the box check the driver Cd that usually comes along with the mobo Also see here for alignment (heatsink) guide

click here sometimes also added as pdf on it...

Rtus 18:03 09 Jan 2007

The on board speaker header is usually combined with the front panel switchs/HD led headers you will find all this data in the motherboard manual.if you havent got one with the box check the driver Cd that usually comes along with the motherboard sometimes also added as pdf on it...

alexgray104 18:18 09 Jan 2007

Cheers for reply Rtus - I have been building the computer following the manual and it says nothing of a speaker connection. The front panel headers have connections for: Reset Switch, HDD LED, Power Switch and Power LED.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Gongoozler 18:27 09 Jan 2007

I just downloaded a picture of your motherboard. The round black device in the corner near the CMOS battery looks like a piezo speaker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?