Newbee to Apache

00edgarj (JimmE) 13:20 27 Mar 2004

I'm probably being stupid but I can't find the location to actually place the files I want to serve. (just the default folder will be fine...)

Forum Editor 13:28 27 Mar 2004

At least not for your HTML files, although you may see a cgi.bin folder that was created by your web host.

just put your files in the root of your server space - at least the index.htm file must be there. You (or your WYSIWYG web design software)can create other folders for images etc. if you wish.

00edgarj (JimmE) 13:34 27 Mar 2004

I should have clarified my situation

I forgot to mention that I am attempting to host my own (??!) server. I am experimenting with various different types of web programming languages (i.e. pearl, php, asp etc) and not yet running a 'real' site but amo using Apache on an old pc set up as a dedicated web server.

Navigating to click here gives me a welcome to apache page with a link to the instruction manual, but I can't find the name (therefore location of) this welcome page so that I know where to place my pages.

When I do eventually get my 'real ' site back up and running, it willb e hosted externally anyway.

00edgarj (JimmE) 13:39 27 Mar 2004

navigating to http: //localhost ...

Forum Editor 14:42 27 Mar 2004

OK then,

If you look at: C:\program files\Apache group\apache\ you should see 'htdocs', and in there will be the default page that should load when you type: localhost or localhost/directory/ into your browser address bar. You can also see it if you type the localhost IP address: 127.0.0.1

If you replace this page with your index.html file you'll see it load instead.

Forum Editor 19:24 28 Mar 2004

with that 00edgarj (JimmE)?

00edgarj (JimmE) 01:43 30 Mar 2004

Thank you very much FE - sorry I didn't get round to replying sooner.

I have found the htdocs folder and uploaded my site into there - and now have a php site to practice with!

Will let you know how I get on - I'm sure i'll be back for more advice before long!

Thanks again,

JimmE (00)

Forum Editor 18:44 30 Mar 2004

and thanks for the update. We'll look forward to hearing from you again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?