Newbe to Vista

lm 11:55 07 Aug 2008

Advice please,

I have just bought a new computer with Vista on it. I have installed Kaspersky AV and Comodo firewall. Do I need any other protection?
I had SpyBot S&D, AdaWare, C Cleaner and Registry Mechanic on my old XP machine.

djbenny 12:47 07 Aug 2008

that should be adaquate protection, kaspersky has anti spyware bulit in if im not mistaken

DippyGirl 13:30 07 Aug 2008

I would still install and use Spybot, SuperAntispyware and PCTools SpywareDoctor from google updater .... but then I'm paranoid
CCleaner should be part of your housekeeping toolset too

User-1229748 13:39 07 Aug 2008

spywareblaster is also a useful bit of freeware that uses no system resources click here

lm 09:01 08 Aug 2008

Many thanks to those who replied, with two different opinions I am still not sure whether I should install these programmes or not.

anskyber 09:42 08 Aug 2008

In a word no.

You have more than adequate protection. AdAware, in it's latest version can conflict with whole time protectors. Vista has much inbuilt security and your biggest sercurity tool is you and your own common sense when surfing.

If you want a good scanner for irregular use then try the free Superantispyware.

CCleaner works perfectly with Vista and as I found out does as much as Reg mechanic in practical terms.

I used to run a number of programs like you but now only use Windows Live One Care and CCleaner.

lm 10:10 08 Aug 2008

Thanks anskyber, I will take your advice.
Many thanks to all who replied

hiwatt 10:58 08 Aug 2008

Just be sure that there wasn't an antivirus installed on the computer.A lot of new computers come installed with norton and the like and you don't want more than 1 antivirus software installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?