New Zotac graphics card wont work with gigabyte motherboard

alan3301 19:19 26 Jul 2013

Hi. my new computer has a Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 DVI ( latest BIOS update) motherboard with an intel i5 3330 3.0 ghz, 16 gig ram and NVidia GT 640 with Windows 8. fitted a nearly new Zotac GEFORCE GTX 660 ti out of my old computer and nothing happens just black screen and a non working keyboard. swapped old 750 watt psu over and still black screen. Put it back in old computer and it works fine. I uninstalled the old drivers before fitting new card. do I need a different motherboard? thanx for any help

Chronos the 2nd 19:29 26 Jul 2013

Why did you uninstall the drivers? As they would have been fine. And it certainly will not be a power issue as I think they are pretty much the same as far power needs are concerned.

I would stick the 640 back in, install the drivers, then swap the GPU's making sure it is properly seated and connect any power cable.

I can see no reason why the 660 should not work on the Gigabyte mobo.

rdave13 19:55 26 Jul 2013

Bios problem possibly? Put the 660 in but leave connection to monitor to the i5 (onboard gpu). Download the drivers and install for 660. When asked to reboot select no and shut down. Once shutdown change the connection from onboard to the card. Boot up and hopefully it will work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?