New XP Install on Lappy, BUT.....

AngeTheHippy 08:41 02 Dec 2008

is this a sign??

Morning Chaps,

Last week I thought my Lappy was dying. I backed up in full and yesterday re-installed XP. Now, I've done this quite a few times over the years, and each time, whether on Lappy or Desktop PC, it was lightening (well... almost,)fast when opening apps. There really isn't that much installed either. Not the case this time though. So, is this another sign that my Lappy's knackered?

Tell me your thoughts, please.

AngeTheHippy
xxxx

Not snowing yet... WHERE is it Weatherman??

brundle 08:42 02 Dec 2008

Check hard-drive for problems with a manufacturer's diagnostic; click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 02 Dec 2008

Hard drives / IDE Channels:

i) Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO.
Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab -
If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at click here to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

ii) If you are using Windows XP or Vista, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

AngeTheHippy 19:38 02 Dec 2008

I will give this a try

A
x

AngeTheHippy 19:42 02 Dec 2008

I've checked yr suggestion i) - transfer rate. It's set as 'DMA if available'.

I only formatted yesterday morning Fruit Bat /\0/\, so I don't think it needs a defrag.

When I was installing XP, I was given the option - FAT or NTFS.

A
x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?