New wireless router user - loss of connection

mvb 10:12 17 Feb 2007

I have just started using a wireless router, after struggling with the set up it now seem to work fine for maybe two or three hours but then looses connection. As I am a new user i don't know if this is to be expected. During problem times I can loose the connecting every few minutes. When I place the curser over the wireless icon I get a message saying that my signal strength is excellent. Do I have a problem?

Technotiger 10:23 17 Feb 2007

Hi, you could try resetting the router - simply disconnect the POWER lead to the router, wait at least 10 seconds, then reconnect Power lead. Also check to make sure that you have not simply got a loose connection anywhere.

It should not keep disconnecting.

pete. 10:31 17 Feb 2007

hi what make is the router not netgear by any chance

ivesy 10:40 17 Feb 2007

Hi, I got Sky Broadband yesterday (eventually). That uses a Netgear Router and we noticed apart form the download speed fluctuating between 5k/b sec to 192k/b that the connection also went after a couple of hours.

I never had this problem with my DLINK G604T.

I was wanting to use my DLINK as it's never let me down but when I spoke to the DLINK helpline they said Sky wouldn't give the settings out! Does anyone know what setting I need and how I can get them form my system now or do I need to ring Sky?

Sorry for going off on another tangent MVB but you are experiencing the same as me by the sounds of it. You aren't with Sky by any chance?

To be honest I'm really questioning whether I made the right choice going to Sky. I'd rather pay more than £5 and get a decent service because the "helpline are a joke! This week alone they've blamed BT, Tesco my old ISP, the Post Office, Valantines day and anyone else they can shift the blame onto but themselves!

Technotiger 10:46 17 Feb 2007

Hi, just had another thought ... have you got more than one telephone, if so each phone must have its own adsl splitter.

pete. 10:52 17 Feb 2007

is the router dg834gt my friend had the same problem check in your firewall setting in the router setup that the date is correct if its not then the router will stop you connecting to the internet thinking its an attack on your router also if you go onto netgears web site there is also firmwear update.

mvb 17:05 17 Feb 2007

I pressed the reset button on the back of the modem andwent through the setup procedure again and "hey presto" - everything seems to be working fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?