New to wireless - please help

JP Isleworth 13:28 25 Apr 2007

Hi, I am a Virgin media broadband customer, was known as telewest originally. I have a Dell desktop that is connected to a 3 year old telewest modem. This has been great for 3 years plus, never down etc.
My query relates to the fact that I have a Dell Latitude D420 laptop that I use for work and would like to set up a wireless network at home. Both PC's run xp service pack 2.
I have contacted Virgin and they suggested a Netgear WGT624 108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router and a compatible Netgear 108Mbps Wireless Network Adapter for the laptop.
As I said I am not up on wireless, in your opinion does this kit fit, and will it be ok to install. If not - anything else work better? How would I go about setting this up? Will the router talk to the laptop with the adaptor or do I have to do a lot of set up?
All help appreciated.

Forum Editor 19:00 25 Apr 2007

is that you get an ethernet wireless router, one that will connect to your Cable modem. Because you're using a cable modem you can use a standalone router, you don't need one with its own modem built in.

The model that Virgin has recommended is ideal, as is the wireless network adapter for the laptop.

Following the easy instructions that come with the router, connect it to the modem, using the lead that currently runs from the modem to your computer. The connection to use on the back of the router is the one that is marked clearly on the setup guide that's in the pack - you can't go wrong.

Now use the lead that comes with the router to connect your computer to any one of the LAN sockets on the router's back panel.

Install the network adapter on your laptop in accordance with the supplied instructions.

Now turn on your main computer and follow the instructions to configure the router - make sure it's switched on.

Once that's done you should see the router establishing a connection to the modem. That's all there is to it - just make sure you follow the instructions that come with your router.

Now use the the lead that is supplied with the router to connect your computer

JP Isleworth 13:07 26 Apr 2007

Very comprehensive - will order the router today - many thanks

JP Isleworth 10:46 08 May 2007

done

JP Isleworth 10:48 08 May 2007

resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017