new windows 7 pc crashes when accessed by other pc

Alaric 18:06 01 Feb 2011

I have a home network connected to a Thomson Speedtouch 585V7 modem/router. Connected to the network are two desktop pcs running Windows XP (SP3, 32-bit), and an E machines laptop running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, which connected wirelessly. My son also had an HP dv6500 laptop with Vista 32-bit, which he connects wirelessly. There is also an Epson SX515W wireless printer on the network, but it has not yet been installed on all machines. I have not up till now had any problems with pcs connected to the network, which have been very stable. In the last week or so, my son acquired an HP laptop with Windows 7 64-bit, which he connected to the network. All the Windows 7 pcs are in the same homegroup

I recently purchased from a local manufacturer, a desktop pc with an Intel i3 processer, 4 Mb RAM, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I have found that the new pc crashes repeatedly, and windows needed to be restarted. When restarted, also gave message ‘Windows encountered unexpected shutdown.’ On other occasions, the pc froze, and the mouse/keyboard would not respond, just after starting Internet Explorer, and a forced shutdown and reboot was necessary.

What seemed to be the trigger to the crashes/shutdowns on some occasions is that they occurred either when other computers on the network were booted, or when trying to access the pc from other pcs on the network, although this does not always seem to be the case and the pc seems to shut down for no reason. As I cannot trust this pc, very little software has been loaded, but the problems started before much was installed. I originally installed all the windows updates, Firefox, F-prot anti-virus, Zone Alarm free, Flash player, Trusteer Rapport, the Epson printer drivers and Epson Network Utility and Net Print. I sent it back to the manufacturer who re installed Windows and ran diagnostics but failed to find any faults.

After return from the manufacturer, on 21/1/11. Switched on and some updates were installed including an Ethernet driver: RealteK RTL8168D/8111D family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS) 6.20, published 20/05/2009. I ran the pc for a few days, just installing one item of software or so each day to ascertain if the software caused problems. On 22/1/11, the Mouse froze immediately after booting up, but I managed to get it working by using a different mouse plugged into a different USB port, and letting the driver install. On 23/1/11, tried to install Firefox, but would not install, and message appeared ‘file is corrupt’. Tried on subsequent occasions, but same message appeared.

Ran OK for a few days, but on 27/1/11, computer crashed with blue screen whilst I was sending an email via Yahoo webmail. My wife was using an XP computer on the network at the time. I rebooted, and about 10 minutes later the pc crashed again. No programs were running, and I had left the computer alone in order to do something else. I carried out a virus scan but nothing was detected. I have returned it to the manufacturer again, but nothing has come up on diagnostics, and they have suggested that the problem may not be the pc itself, but the network.

Three possibilities for the problems have been suggested to me by various people that I have talked to:

1. It may be the network card or its driver that may be at fault.
2. There may be a problem with the modem and the way that IP addresses are being allocated, and that I should try a different modem.
3. It may be the network, and the fact that 32-bit and 64-bit machines are mixed on it, although I have not had any problems previously with a mixture of 32-bit and 64-bit machines with different operating systems.

I have talked to my ISP technical support who tell me that if there are modem/router problems, or network IP conflicts etc, Windows should not be so flaky that it crashes, and there should be a pop-up indicating the problem/conflict, not a blue screen. I should also be able to mix 32-bit and 64-bit pcs on the network without any problems. According to them, the blue screen is most likely to indicate a hardware problem (probably intermittent in this case), or less likely a driver problem. One suggestion that I have been given is that I should try an additional network card, to see if the pc works with that, rather than the onboard card.
Any ideas/help would be appreciated

Alaric 16:13 03 Feb 2011

Thanks for the helpful response. The pc has been with the manufacturer for a few days, and they carried out various tests including memory tests, but have been unable to replicate the crashes, so have no diagnostic information to go on. They suggested running the pc disconnected from the network for a few days, to see what happened. So far, so good. Then I shall connect to the network, and keep a record of what happens. Yesterday I had 2 ancient XP pcs on the network running all day, and a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit. I transferred several Gigs of files between one of the pcs and the laptop, and there were no problems with the network. I am beginning to suspect the network card in the new pc, or its driver, and am thinking of installing Driver Genius or similar to see if updating drivers may make a difference. I guess I will need to be patient.

The problem with Firefox seems to have been that the file on the server was geuinely corrupt, as I managed to install it a couple of days ago from a different server.

Alaric 17:16 05 Feb 2011

The pc has been back to the manufacturer, who insists that there is nothing wrong with the pc, and it must be my network, which behaves perfectly with my other pcs. On returning from the manufacturer the second time, and connecting to the network, the pc froze and needed to be rebooted. I have looked at the Event Viewer, and various events are recorded relating to crashes, some whilst the pc was in the Maufacturers' possession. A sample of these, which occur several times, include:

Critical 12/01/2011 10:05:33 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Error 12/01/2011 10:07:02 EventLog 6008 None
The previous system shutdown at 10:04:14 on ?12/?01/?2011 was unexpected

Error 27/01/2011 11:30:59 BugCheck 1001 None
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050031, 0x00000000000006f8, 0xfffff8000288305f). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 012711-15234-01.

Error 28/01/2011 16:00:19 Disk 7 None
The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block. [N.B. This message occured 10X, possibly as a consequence of tests by manufacturer]

Error 25/01/2011 17:05:46 Schannel 36888 None
The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 10.
[N.B. this message occured 3X]

There did not seem to be any events related to network activity prior to crashes, and I am sure that there is not a network problem. Any observations would be welcome, as I am sure that I have a faulty pc.

woodchip 17:29 05 Feb 2011

For me, this sounds like a stick of bad memory, if there is more than one stick, take them out one at a time and test. you may need to change slots for it to boot. Just try with one stick at a time

lotvic 19:13 05 Feb 2011

<<Error 28/01/2011 16:00:19 Disk 7 None
The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block>>
I think the harddrive is faulty.
Have a look in Disc Management to see which drive is listed as Harddisk1 (it is usually a second harddrive - not a partition on the first harddrive which should be listed as Disk 0)

I would say that that is the problem, and it only crashes when trying to read data from the bad block click here click here same error.

Have you got a Raid array of some sort?
What make harddrive is it? you can usually go to the manufacturers website and download a testing utility (and the harddrive will be under warranty so your supplier will be able to replace it free of charge)

Alaric 14:16 06 Feb 2011

The possibility that the hard drive is faulty, and the pc fails when trying to read data from the bad blocks has struck me, and that is something that the manufacturer should have picked up, I would have thought. There is only one hard drive and no partitions. However, I am beginning to think that the free version of Zonealarm is causing the problems, as some have claimed that it may result in crashes/freezes/instability in Win 7. I uninstalled it using the Zonealarm uninstaller this morning, but when I rebooted, I couldn't connect to the net, as the network card driver seems to have disappeared or been corrupted. So, back to the manufacturer, and more hassle

howard64 14:41 06 Feb 2011

when I first put w7 on 1 pc I had the identical problem with data transfer crashing the pc the data was coming from. I overcame this when the w7 network wizard kicked in and set a network password. Once this password was entered on all the other pcs on the network the problem disappeared.

Alaric 11:53 13 Feb 2011

I have searched other forums, and it would seem that Zonealarm does not get on with Windows 7 and Realtek Network Card drivers e.g.
click here

I therefore uninstalled Zonealarm, but then the network card driver seemed to be disabled/corrupted, and internet connection was not possible. This problem has been identified by several others e.g.

click here

As I was concerned that remnants of Zonealarm may have been left after being uninstalled,rather than spending time trying to sort everything out, I took the step of having Windows 7 and the various drivers reinstalled, and so far, the pc has run without blue screens or freezing.
Thanks to others who have offered their advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache