New to WIFI. What is WEP?

duxk 17:21 06 Mar 2006

Installed my WIFI today and the wizard with it assumes one won't be using WEP security. My questions are, what is WEP and should I be using it?

And if so how do I set it up!! I've installed a NETGEAR DGB111G system.

ade.h 17:34 06 Mar 2006

Wireless Equivalent Protocol.

No, you should not really use it; you should use WPA-PSK (Wifi Protected Access with Pre-Shared Key) instead. Much more secure.

Someone who uses Netgear systems will have to advise you how to set up WPA.

Danoh 01:29 07 Mar 2006

Most WiFi kit's defaults is not to have any security set on initially (to help installation). However, if you must set some sort of security on to avoid any one with a wireless connection being able to access your network and connected PCs.

WEP has 2 encryption strengths, with the lower one largely ineffectial but does at least prevent casual access by strangers.

Your main constraint will be what your client PCs wireless security capabilities are. If they only have WEP, then use the highest encryption level they can all support. If you combine this with a password/key which is tough to crack (longest string of obscure characters, symbols, etc which you can invent), then it will take a pretty determined hacker to break in.

If the client PCs which you are aiming to connect wirelessly to the router has WPA rather then WEP, it is even better but you still need to make the PSK (Pre Shared Key) as long and complex as possible.

Going a further step, if some of your client PCs can also have WPA-PSK2 but others only WPA-PSK, then you ought to be able to set WPA-PSK and WPA-PSK2 as the required security option on your Netgear router.

Now you know which level of security to set, connect to your router with an Ethernet cable. Your installation manual (printed or available on your Installation CD normally) should tell you the steps.

Typically this is to access the Router's configuration settings by typing in 192.168.n.1 into a browser's address window (e.g. Internet Explorer).

The Router's configuration settings page with have options to set security to WEP or WPA-PSK, as well being able to specify your password/key, SSID, etc.
Make a careful note of these, so you can replicate them on your client PCs which you wish to connect wirelessly to your router.

We can move on to more details once you've grasped the above.

duxk 17:55 07 Mar 2006

I did that for WPA-PSK, i.e set up a 63 character code and then copied the code into the user settings on the wi fi user account on the pc.

Do I need to do anything more? Is it possible to tell/check that the WPA-PSK is working?

Many thanks

Andy

ade.h 18:17 07 Mar 2006

Simplest method; double-click on the wifi LAN icon in the Notification Area, press the View Wireless Networks button and you will see your network. It should be described as a secured network and show whether you are connected or not. If it says that it's secured, then it definitely is.

duxk 18:37 07 Mar 2006

Tried that it says it that "windows can not configure this wireless connection"... any ideas? The wi fi seems to be working OK, I can type this message for example...

duxk 18:46 07 Mar 2006

think i've sorted it! says the network is security enabled (WPA) Thanks to everyone for your help!

Danoh 23:13 07 Mar 2006

Great going, duxk!! Well done!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?