New to Wifi total ludite

lotusmark2 10:11 29 Nov 2007

Hi all
I am moving to a new house and thinking of doing the following, could I have some help/advice please.

Place my current PC (standard compaq tower)upstairs connected via a wireless router to broadband.

Use my laptop via a wireless LAN to access files/data on the upstairs PC and the web

OK so far so good I think BUT

Can I then play a game on the laptop down stairs that is stored on the hard drive of the PC upstairs and if so is the game running on the processor of the laptop or the upstairs unit?

Hope that makes sense.

What kit am I going to need (have Wifi built in on he laptop)and thats it

Cheers
M

TonyM 10:21 29 Nov 2007

No , the game you want to play will need to be installed on the laptop and will use the processor and graphics capability of the laptop.

You "may" be able to install some games to run on the laptop from a hard drive in the desktop machine if you designate that drive as a "Network Drive", but you would still need to install it via the laptop to ensure all the correct registry entries etc. are in place, and it would still be running using the resources of the laptop. The only real beneift would be the saving of hard drive space on the laptop.

lotusmark2 10:27 29 Nov 2007

Ahhh bum!

Ok thanks.
Main thing is that we like playing games sat on the sofa but dont want a big PC sat in the lounge and also need the TV to be seperate as other people will be watching that while the PC is being used.
Any ideas??

Have seen the new Sony "in pannel" type PC but it looks very expensive for the spec

Cheers
M

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?