new wifi setup for a large house

McCloud 12:05 19 May 2015

So in a small hotel, I am planning to create a new wifi setup. Currently, there is an old main router, with 2 more access points throughout the building. The router is not located centrally, so the position is not ideal.

There are few scenarios that I was thinking of. - buy a new, strong router and place it in the middle of the house

• stick with the old, already configured router and replace the 2 old access points / extenders (which are not capable of fully covering the whole site) with a new AP.

• just replace the old router's antennas.

I am only providing solution to the client and won't be able to install the devices myself, therefore ease of configuration and cost is priority as well.

Now, I don't think 5dB antennas will be enough to cover a 2 storey house - but I have never tested antenna strength, so I am not sure on this one. In this case, would a router like this be enough, with the addition of stronger antennas?

For AP's, this is something that I've used in the past. It should support very long ranges, however, I cannot see the antenna strength in the specs. What is the Maximum TX power?

I am open to any further ideas/ suggestions from you. Thanks for help.

Jollyjohn 12:26 19 May 2015

I can recommend the TP Link AV500 range of Powerline extenders, available from Maplin and as a kit with one base and two remotes. I have used these in a 3 storey victorian house and succesfully got wifi to the top floor. The only comment is that the wifi passkey printed on the remote units is a bit hard to read, but they were basically plug and play.

Devolo also do a range of the same but have not used them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?