New wifi card will not work

Dalglish2 20:25 09 Apr 2010

Hi
I have installed a new Edum 108mbps pci wireless card and loaded the accompanying driver. Guess what? Doesn't work.
The router is working fine as this post is via an iPhone connected to the network. Ive tried tosearch for an updated driver using the pc hard wired but no luck.
Any pointers? Thanks

cream. 20:29 09 Apr 2010

What did you use to connect the computer to the router before and have you disabled it.

Does the new card show in network connections.

Have you scrolled down and changed your preferential wifi peripheral to connect to the router?

Dalglish2 20:47 09 Apr 2010

Using xp home. Used Ethernet cable to access Internet post installation.
New card does not show in network connections
but the card had a blue light so I guess is sitting snugly in it's pci socket.
should I have disabled a connection?
Did not get the option to select preferential wifi peripheral.
Thanks

Dalglish2 20:49 09 Apr 2010

Sorry misread your first question. I had a 54mbps wireless card - the new one came off eBay for £11 with cd driver.

cream. 20:57 09 Apr 2010

Control panel > network connections

Is the wireless network connection icon showing? What is it's status i.e. enabled or disabled.

Is the local area connection (LAN) disabled.

How many wireless peripherals are showing in device manager > network adapters.

cream. 21:04 09 Apr 2010

New card does not show in network connections. Is there no icon for wireless network connection?

Go to add and remove programs, if software is installed for the old card, remove it, then go to device manager and uninstall all wireless references in network adapters, reboot.

Dalglish2 21:44 09 Apr 2010

Hi
no reference to old card in add/remove programs. Also in DM there are two network adaptors: 1394 net adapter and also n ixia nForce Mcp networking controller.
Leave these alone?

cream. 21:56 09 Apr 2010

Leave these alone?

Yes.

Is there any device with a yellow exclamation mark next to it? If there is, what is it.

Try card in different pci slot.

cream. 22:06 09 Apr 2010

google with driver disk problems.
click here

click here

Dalglish2 22:06 09 Apr 2010

No exclamation mark but the 1394 one had red cross on it which I right clicked and enabled.
Will TTY different slot in am many
thanks

Dalglish2 16:02 10 Apr 2010

Hi cream
tried another pci slot uninstalled and reloaded driver supplied then abandoned it.
You're right the Internet is awash with edup products that seemingly are not working with the supplied software.
At £11, it was not too costly off eBay but I guess if it sounds too good to be true ....
The reason I tried replacing was becaue the aerial on the old card was knocked off and the 108mbs seemed a step up. Put old one back and works well e ough. Thanks gin for all your great tips and support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?