NEW WEBSITE PLZ LOOK

alex22 20:26 18 Sep 2006

I have a new website called XP PC Help. My best try so far. Will upload it it about 10 mins.

Its just a starter so doesnt have much at mo.

Any thoughts.

(website address: click here)

THANKS

skidzy 20:47 18 Sep 2006

Alex ... if my memory serves me correctly you posted your first go a while back,if im correct you asked for a few pointers.Well,if this was you...its a massive improvement.......good on you,and good luck.

Apologies if ive got the wrong person.

alex22 20:56 18 Sep 2006

your right it was me!!

so you think it is much better

alex22 20:59 18 Sep 2006

ok great.

would love to hear forum editors suggestions if he is arround. anyway i gotta go now but leave a post if you want and i will be back on 2moro... i think!

bye

ade.h 21:03 18 Sep 2006

A long way to go yet, but getting better, certainly. Keep up the pace on your learning curve, Alex, and keep following the Webdesign forum closely.

rodriguez 21:05 18 Sep 2006

Very nice. Makes a change from big glittery heart pics and photos of people randomly splashed all over the page which is what you usually find on sites made with Freewebs :-P this one's actually useful.

Forum Editor 21:12 18 Sep 2006

I'll move it from the helproom to Webdesign.

alex22 21:19 18 Sep 2006

thank you.

what do you think of the site

Jim Thing 21:42 18 Sep 2006

However — it may not be a good idea to have your e-mail address in clear text all over the place, as I found that it acts as a spam magnet. Some years ago I had a helpful 'e-mail me' link on every page of my website — until the spam came flooding in. I had to change my address, and ended up munging the new address (by adding a single-pixel 'graphic image' in the background colour) and the spam ceased (well almost). Unfortunately it means that people can only e-mail me by typing in my address, but it's not as if I'm selling anything, and I've found that the people who want to e-mail me don't seem to mind the slight inconvenience. (Admittedly I've no idea how many people DO mind and simply couldn't be bothered though...)

Lastly a couple of nits from an addicted nitpicker:

1. 'FAQ questions' means 'Frequently Asked Questions questions' :-)
2. 'inconvinience' should be 'inconvenience' (it's in your note about Flash problems).

Hope this helps
Good luck
Jim

ade.h 21:56 18 Sep 2006

If at all possible, always use a form. Code your PHP properly (scripts abound on the net) and look after your email address and you will have virtually no spam. Certainly none that can come as a direct result of your website.

Then code your form in such a way that allows for visually impaired users. I may have been paying too much attention to PurplePenny, but she's absolutely right! In fact, develop your whole site with that in mind if at all possible.

Forum Editor 21:57 18 Sep 2006

if I didn't mention this Alex.

You aren't allowed to use the Windows logo, or any other Microsoft logo on a website unless you have express permission from Microsoft. They're very touchy about it, and if they find out that you're doing it one of their lawyers will contact you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017