New website advice

Bedazzle 18:16 21 Nov 2006

Would love to hear any general advice on my new website click here

Also, I think I have a page layout problem. On my laptop the website appears fine, but on some other computers I notice that the layout changes and doesn't fit well on the screen.

I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this using Dreamweaver...?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers in advance

steve263000 11:47 22 Nov 2006

I perhaps am not expert enough to give advice, but the site is quick enough to load. I would have put the 'compare' advice on the home page, so people who visit your site, will get a little bit of understanding first. You could put it above the table of cards.

As for the table of credit cards, it appears on my screen slightly offset to the left. Is that how is it supposed to be? I would centralize it, but have no idea how to do it in dreamweaver as I have never used it.

Personally I would put a a light background colour, but that is just me and many others would disagree.

That's it mate, I hope it helps, but as I have said I am no expert, and I think that others will have many other suggestions. Take note because they are always helpful, they do know what they are talking about.

Sloper69 20:46 24 Nov 2006

To alter the layout use a relative table size of 100%. This will resize depending on screen resolution of visitor to site. Dreamweaver does allow this.

Bedazzle 01:09 25 Nov 2006

Thanks Sloper. Have tried changing relative table size to 100%. Hopefully it looks ok in any browser now.

Does anyone have advice for my website balancetransfer.com.au I'm pretty new at this game and would appreciate some constructive criticism.

Cheers

Bedazzle 01:11 25 Nov 2006

That website again click here

acsmanhtml12 15:17 25 Nov 2006

Ditch the graphic up the top. Get a corperate identity and use it. Make the links more prominent, and have a hover state on the links
Ditch times new roman, get a decent masterheader, and the main table is OK, but otherwise get a complete overhaul. Try thinking along these lines.
Will Users on my Site be able to find every kind of info that they need.
Will diabeled users be able to use my site.
Can you always get to any page on my site on any other pages.
Will it take users 20 minutes to get to any content, by reading gubbins.
Make a decent sitemap.
Maybe add a dropdown menu, with each of the cards and info on them and websites. If this site is the only one if it's kind then it needs minor work. If you're competing against others take a look at there sites and see why users are going there and look at what they're doing right and what youve got right. If they have flashy features it may be a dis advantage. I take it your projecty hasn't had a massive cash injection., If the others have then you have to get to the top of the search enginges. I've covered/covbering some of these features on my blog (click here) if you would like to view to get ideas etc.

Sloper69 21:36 29 Nov 2006

Top 2 points to remember for web creation:
* 3 click rule - generally, if a visitor to your site takes more than 3 clicks to find what then that's too long;
* download time - optimize all graphics and reduce sizes (give option of larger size if wished if image based content). Flash is fun but don't over do it; avoid a flash intro (IE loading...) at all costs. Avoid sound files playing, after a while they get on visitor's nerves.
As you are using Dreamweaver you can produce a template for all your web pages to achieve uniformality and reduce the time to download pages.

Think about what frustrates you when visiting a site.

Hope this helps.

Bedazzle 22:59 29 Nov 2006

Thanks for all the advice - I'm gonna go and have a tinker now...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?