new website

the kopite 17:04 29 Sep 2006

Hi Guys well the old kopite kept at it and has produce something resembling I belive a website lol but I will let you my peers be the judge of that. All critiism,s comments and sugestions will be ignored rofl kopite

ade.h 17:27 29 Sep 2006

click here

That's the link from your other thread.

ade.h 17:35 29 Sep 2006

One of the first things that strikes me is the poor quality of the editorial. It looks like you have been typing it all out while your head was brimming with ideas and it has all come out messy and a bit hard to follow.

The page titles suffer the same problem.

Holiday Accomodation loses the navbar, except for a Page One link at the bottom of the page.

Masses of empty space under the Clovelly page - possibly others as well.

The navigation needs some work.

I don't want to come across as disparaging though, because this is obviously a subject that you are fond of, and rightly so. Keep it up.

Forum Editor 18:09 29 Sep 2006

your text is pretty poor - there's too much of it in great slabs, and the construction, grammar and punctuation are a mess.

People find it difficult to read big chunks of text on a screen, your site would look far better if you broke the text up into columns, with some more images, or line dividers between items.

The navigation is very poor, and I notice that some of your filenames contain both spaces and upper-case letters, both of which are a bad idea.

Your map would look a lot less forbidding if the land was coloured green, or even brown - anything but jet black.

the kopite 18:45 29 Sep 2006

Thanks for the comments guys its not to make any money from just a project but I want to do my best I have pondered over the navigation any ideas how to improve it please as for the grammar. I belive the local college is running a english course this autum better join. Back to the drawing board sigh. Sorry I ever purchased a computer on my retirement but boredom is a terrible affiction lol

ade.h 19:17 29 Sep 2006

Buying a computer was one of the best things you could have done with your money; there's so much that you get out of it.

Navigation can be difficult, but here's what I would do. Your first page be as it is now, but I would put those same links on the sub-pages and - crucially - have all the links in the same order on each page. The towns section could be like this for example:

History of Exmoor

Wildlife of Exmoor

Exmoor Ponies

West Country Towns

----Town A

----Town B

----etc.

West Country Villages

Holiday
Accommodation

Hyphens have just been added here to create the desired effect.

Navigation must be clear, consistent, logical and flexible. If Penny was reading this, she would rightly point out that you should consider users with cognitive problems.

PurplePenny 21:16 29 Sep 2006

I was just reading it and just about to explain why navigation should be consistent... but ade.h got there first :-)

Whilst on the subject of accessibility, you've used a serif font. That is not considered good for reading on screen. It is true that some dyslexics find a serif creates a line across the page which makes it easier for them to read but for most people it is harder.

(Personally I love a nice serif font and find it easy to read, even on screen, but our personal preferences shouldn't get in the way of accessibility and usability).

As FE has said large blocks of text are hard to read on screen and this is also an accessibility consideration.

Don't feel disheartened by all this: it is a nice site and we are just trying to help you make it better.

Forum Editor 23:19 29 Sep 2006

Me too.

I'm sure that plenty of people would find us rather sad for deriving pleasure from such things, but I for one couldn't care less.

ade.h 23:32 29 Sep 2006

I quite like serif as well, if used carefully. I used it recently where it was very appropriate to the site's style and content, but it wasn't a very text-heavy site. Even so, I was in too minds about it because it didn't look as readable as I would like when I viewed it on an old CRT.

kindly 23:36 29 Sep 2006

I agree with what others say about the site. The thing is, you are getting the beauty of your county over. You have some good photos. If you make your paragraphs shorter and put a few more pictures in between and say what they are you will be onto a winner.
Keep at it. It is the only way to make a good site. Dont take it down, just make a few alterations a bit at a time and you will see the differance yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?