New Website

mfc_1986 11:32 04 Feb 2006

Hi, i am writing on behalf of someone who i know who is wanting to create their own website for their business that being childminding. They do not know anything about HTML etc and theyre looking maybe for a template unless anything else is suggested. Theyre looking for it to look obviously professional but needs to associate with children in terms of colours and look.

Forum Editor 12:08 04 Feb 2006

that this person has zero experience as far as web-design and publishing goes?

Is he/she relatively computer-literate?

Does he/she have a registered domain name, and if so, where is it currently parked?

My recommendations depend on the answers to those questions.

mfc_1986 12:15 04 Feb 2006

well she has asked me to give her a hand but i dont know a huge amount about web design... yes she is computer literate so am i, and no, no domain as of yet.

I know there is a way of creating the images in photoshop and saving them and putting iti nto dreamweaver but im not entirly sure of how to do that, i know how to put images but this would be one big Photoshop file with all the bars banners etc...

Forum Editor 12:37 04 Feb 2006

The first thing to do is to register a domain name (preferably a .co.uk one), and have it hosted - don't even think about using an ISP's free webspace if you want this site to look professional.

There are literally hundreds of web-hosts out there, and recommendations are always tricky. Of late I have been recommending Heart Internet, because they are without a doubt the most efficient and professionally run hosting company I have dealt with. I run my own reseller hosting account with them, and I have no hesitation in recommending the company.

click here for more details. The basic package is all you would need.

Included in the package will be a huge range of site templates, and there's bound to be one to suit you.

That, in my opinion, is the shortest route from A to B in this situation - you can always think about tweaking the site, or completely redesigning it later on.

mfc_1986 12:47 04 Feb 2006

Thanks very much for the information FE, i will take it into consideration, i do have a Dreamweavers guide for dummies but its a point of getting round to reading it, maybe in the mean time i can get an account at Heart Internet and then as you say redesign it. Thanks again for you help in this matter.

mco 12:54 04 Feb 2006

bother with Dreameaver in the first instance.Yes, it is one of the biggies and I know you have Dreamweaver for dummies (so do I) but frankly if you've never done a site before and want one up and running and looking good there are other much easier ways initially to do it - you can save the dreamweaver for when you've been at it awhile.

mco 12:56 04 Feb 2006

Just clicked the link and see you get a webbuilder program with that - I'd definitely go that way if I were you to start with

mfc_1986 13:07 04 Feb 2006

what programs could you suggest or otherways to start of with web design mco?

mfc_1986 14:17 04 Feb 2006

are Heart internet a bit slow on support? as im wating for a free account to be activated just to look at their package, but i will order the starter professional, i would not go with the free account. Its either their very busy or cant be bothered answering as i have een on live chat for about 15 mins now. Another question i have to pose to them, unless anyone here can answer it is the Domains, for example it costs £2.59 including registration, is that 2.59 a month or 2.59 per year?

mco 17:09 04 Feb 2006

netobjects fusion 7 is offered free with a pc mag this month or else in last April's PCA/ There's a version of serifwebplus free on the internet if you search. If you want to buy, Front Page is user-friendly but I'd start with anything free myself!

Forum Editor 18:19 04 Feb 2006

that says: 'More information' under the Starter Professional pack, and you'll see everything that comes with that pack, including the information that the cost is £2.49 a month. That's a very reasonable price for such a well-specified package.

I'm not sure where you saw the free account - I wasn't aware they offered one.

Where's the live chat support option? I wasn't aware that was available either. Their customer support is excellent, but it's not a live chat system. I've never waited more than about half an hour for a response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?