New web site

steve263000 02:59 06 Nov 2006

Good day all,

I have not been around for a while, although I have been watching some of the posts. I have just been fairly problem free. However, I have designed a new site, and I would like to put it up for critique.

The site is click here and I would like your valued opinion on it. Is the menu system over long? Should it perhaps be put into some sort of alphabetical system reducing the links? Is the whole theme to 'classical' and not 'funny' enough? That was deliberate, but I am willing to think about it.

Gently now, this is a new baby!

steve263000 05:42 06 Nov 2006

Just a quick note re the site fonts. I have just been though the pages now they are up, and have noticed that on some pages the fonts are not the same. I will sort that one out in a few days.

mammak 22:15 06 Nov 2006

I like it really I was on it for ages infact forgot to come back and post to you it is really good.

Z1100 23:33 06 Nov 2006

I can tell you what I experienced on your page.

I did not read the content since an opinion on that is much more subjective however; my first instinct was to exit the page so I did.

After I went back to think about why I left I decided that the speckled background was drawing my eyes off the font.

The Home page is all text and that inclined me to leave also, the lack of a primary colour or one eye catching image to tell me what the site is at a glance also contributed to my exit.

I looked at some of the individual pages and found them much more pleasing. I suspect the photos helped a great deal especially as they were all smiley faces!

All the pages I looked at loaded very quickly. I use a 4mb BB connection and share bandwidth with 3 PC's. The images and the text are all in proportion when viewed using (my setup) IE 6.0.2900 in 32bit 1280x1024 res on 19" monitor.

Knowing that you want traffic I have added a link to a 'wealth' of information on good practices to get traffic to your site.
click here

I think you have omitted at least one Bio... YOURS! ;)

I like your site and I like the theme. I cannot think of any reason to keep going back to the site after the initial gorge on the info you have provided but I do think sites need a hook. Alas, I have no idea how to create the hook so I don't design websites for a living.

Someone once told me that in business I should have a 'Most Wanted Response' as in I want my customer to; buy, read, order, contribute... what ever. If you can fit that theory into the site then 'if you build it, they will come' and come back again which is more important.

Thank you for allowing me to comment on your site development

Hanx!
K.

steve263000 05:31 07 Nov 2006

Thanks to mammak and Z1100 for the comments and suggestions. I am going to add more content to the site over the next week so. I will put my own bio link on there, and I will think about a 'hook'. That is a very interesting idea. Also the link that was put in was very good, and I will probably take that up.

spuds 11:39 07 Nov 2006

What can I say, that as not already been stated. It's obvious that you have 'worked' on this site, and the information is superb. But please get rid of the speckled/spot effect on each page, try something slightly different.

GroupFC 13:25 07 Nov 2006

One thing on the menu buttons who is Norman WisdON??????????

steve263000 12:17 08 Nov 2006

Well I asked for critique, and I have certainly had one. Fair and for the most part pleasant as well. The 'speckled' look has had a fair bit of comment. I like the look but if it drives people away, then I will certainly think about changing it. Forum member, you have eyes like a eagle for spotting spelling errors, and I will go back and alter them at the next upload. And as for Norman WisDON? Dhuuuu.

Once again, my thanks for excellent critique. I have many more pages to load soon. This will bring it to about 40 odd individuals. I will make the menus A to C and D to H and so on or something similar as 40 odd links to the page is just to many.

Come back again in a week or so when I have made a few changes.

steve263000 12:17 08 Nov 2006

Well I asked for critique, and I have certainly had one. Fair and for the most part pleasant as well. The 'speckled' look has had a fair bit of comment. I like the look but if it drives people away, then I will certainly think about changing it. Forum member, you have eyes like a eagle for spotting spelling errors, and I will go back and alter them at the next upload. And as for Norman WisDON? Dhuuuu.

Once again, my thanks for excellent critique. I have many more pages to load soon. This will bring it to about 40 odd individuals. I will make the menus A to C and D to H and so on or something similar as 40 odd links to the page is just to many.

Come back again in a week or so when I have made a few changes.

Naeris 21:09 10 Nov 2006

Just one quick thing, think about putting your recommended links on a seperate page (low in the nav) as yun want to people to stay on your site not be attracted to another on the first page.

Woolwell 23:58 10 Nov 2006

Agree with the speckled page comments. Please remove the speckles. I found the menu buttons rather difficult to read on IE7 1280 x 1024 screen resolution clear type. Perhaps not enough contrast between the font and the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?