New virus alert

Graham ® 14:16 16 Apr 2004

From AOL news, no doubt on other media too

'The new virus, called Netsky-V, is a next-generation virus that can infect computers even if the user does not open a rogue email.'

mammak 14:20 16 Apr 2004

Anthing we can to avoid it Graham ® apart from keeping our AVs up to date regards Mammak.

hugh-265156 14:33 16 Apr 2004

avg has been updated to catch this as from 15 april click here i would presume most avs will also have been updated to look for this.

Graham ® 14:41 16 Apr 2004

More info click here

Graham ® 14:45 16 Apr 2004

Advice to defend against Netsky in all its varied guises follows a familiar pattern: update AV signature files, apply patches, use a personal firewall and wear a regulation tin-foil hat. ®

ventanas 14:51 16 Apr 2004

Thanks for the info.

Les 15:09 16 Apr 2004

My neighbour called me in yesterday to check his computer - he couldn't get his mail. He pointed out that he had a strange file (a .pdf file) in explorer. He clicked it and the file was reporting the i-worm/netsky virus and appeared to come from McAfee. He has no virus software, no firewall and used XP Professional. I believe that XP has a virus checker but is it a version of McAfee?

I have a file (from AVG) - it's name in VCleaner amd will run this on his computer - at the same time I have downloaded AVG Free Edition and will put that on too. Perhaps, now he will listen to waht he is told - he uses Freeserve, has dial up and pays by the minute - hence his reluctance to download a 7mb file.

I wonder if it is the virus which is affecting Outlook Express 6? Any why the apparent file from McAfee? I suspect that this file was the carrier of the virus. Any thoughts on that?

Les

ventanas 15:27 16 Apr 2004

Seems to have had an effect on the Office update site. It's slower than Windows update was a few days ago. That'll teach me to get the patches when they come out.

mammak 16:29 16 Apr 2004

Thanks for the info,AV all up to date patches up to date,Tin foil hat on lol.Regards Mammak

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?