New version of Zone Alarm to sort recent problems

Halmer 06:49 10 Jul 2008

Given the many threads on the recent Windows update, Zone Alarm and loss of internet connection I thought I'd start this as a separate thread for clarity.

Thanks grey george

click here

Not Vista.

cocteau48 08:27 10 Jul 2008

Thanks Halmer
New thread is a good idea.
I can confirm that this new version of ZoneAlarm has cured the KB 951748 problem which is now installed and all is OK
Just install the new ZoneAlarm over the top of your existing version - you will get the choice of "upgrade" or "fresh install".
Choose "upgrade" - reboot as requested - install KB951748 - reboot as requested - job done!

Halmer 08:36 10 Jul 2008

back to 'high' (Firewall/Main tab) if you lowered it as a temporary fix to the KB951748 problem.

H

Stuartli 10:06 10 Jul 2008

I've been a solid supporter of ZoneAlarm (free) for many years until quite recently, when my attention was drawn to this link:

click here

As a result, I tried Comodo Firewall Pro (freeware) and, so far, it's impressed me.

Halmer 10:32 10 Jul 2008

I put Comodo FW on my neighbour's laptop but she complained that she couldn't stop the alerts despite ticking the 'don't show this again' box.

Is this an issue with it or was she missing something?

Stuartli 10:48 10 Jul 2008

The only time I get alerts (so far) is when you are installing or uninstalling programs, applications or updating these or files.

When the alerts panel appears, switching to Install or Uninstall mode will stop the alerts appearing - on completion Comodo will ask if you wish to revert to the status quo, which should be allowed.

dnjl 17:21 10 Jul 2008

cocteau48

I had the updated ZA but the KB951748 still would not let me onto the internet after installing. Hence it's been uninstalled!!

alB 17:27 10 Jul 2008

I though I'd give Comodo a test after reading your link, it seems to run fine on my PC and as of yet I've had no alerts at all, I'll see how it goes for a couple of weeks ...alB

cocteau48 17:39 10 Jul 2008

dnjl
I had uninstalled KB951748 prior to installing the new ZoneAlarm and only reinstalled it after ZA had been installed.
I cannot vouch as to whether it works installing the new ZA onto a system which already has KB951748 already installed.
Perhaps someone else has done this and can verify that it works.

Halmer 19:27 10 Jul 2008

mines working with the new ZA and all Windows Updates including the one that caused the problem. Internet setting is on 'high'.

grey george 20:06 10 Jul 2008

I did one of mine (from a usb flash I had download from a working machine)today and all is fine with the xp update already installed. It was a new install though because I had removed zone alarm before I realised what the problem was.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017