New version of Java

micemews 16:51 10 Mar 2008

I have just received a notification of a new version of Java.

Is it necessary to uninstall all previous versions of Java before installing the new one. Until now I have always installed the new version without uninstalling the old ones.

Consequently in Add Remove Programs I have the the following installed :-

Five updates of Version 5
Two updates of Version 6
One of SE

ACOLYTE 17:00 10 Mar 2008

Nope just install over the top and it should verify after the install,just to make sure things went ok.

birdface 17:05 10 Mar 2008

Remove them all and install the latest .Version 6 update5.

ACOLYTE 17:09 10 Mar 2008

There is no need to remove them,i guess it is down to personal preference,it should still work what ever way you decide to go.

Rob_08 17:13 10 Mar 2008

It depends on how much room you have on your HD, if you have plenty then install over, if not uninstall. Java takes up a fair bit of room with each update.
Up to you. Cheers.

sunny staines 17:24 10 Mar 2008

after deleting prev version run your reg checker to clean up java leaves a lot of debris behind.

Newuser3605 20:23 10 Mar 2008

I don't know whether I have Java or not. What's it for and should I download the latest version? If I do will I see any difference?
If I have an old version, how will I know?
Cheers.

rdave13 21:01 10 Mar 2008

All about Java; click here .
How to verify Java; click here

Reasons to remove older versions; click here

hiwatt 21:12 10 Mar 2008

I'm running version 6 update 5 but when I check for any updates it's saying I have the latest version.Mind you,it was telling me that last week too when I only had update 4 and 5 was availiable.

micemews 18:07 11 Mar 2008

Thanks everyone for your advice. This has been very helpful. Although I have previously installed the new version over the previous version, without any apparent problems, I think that on balance it may be preferable to uninstall the old versions first. I will create a restore point first, just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?