New threat for beginners

birksy 22:31 26 May 2009

Not much chance of anyone using THIS site falling for it, but you may want to spread the word among friends and family who aren't so clued up.

I've just received this email from my Cousin.

Hi Col,
I have had an e mail allegedly from microsoft lottery telling me I have won a prize and asking me to download the attachment to initiate a claim.
I am highly suspicious of this and have not downloaded anything. Have you heard of this?
Ed.

Needless to quote my response of course.

User-1229748 02:50 27 May 2009

it is useful to post about things like this as some people must fall for it otherwise they wouldn't send out scam emails.better someone reads a post like this than have some scumbag rinse their bank account,thanks for posting :o)

lotvic 11:10 27 May 2009

If cousin needs any more convincing then point your cousin to microsofts page click here

"Avoid the “Microsoft Lottery” phishing scam

Microsoft customers are often targets of a scam, which uses false e-mail messages that promise that you have won "The Microsoft Lottery."
We're sorry to say that you did not win the Microsoft Lottery, because there is no Microsoft Lottery."

is the opening paragraph :)

Sea Urchin 14:19 27 May 2009

So far in the last few months I've "won" well in excess of £10,000,000 on lotteries in France, Spain and Australia - lucky me :@)

Forum Editor 18:55 27 May 2009

is that you cannot possibly win a lottery that you didn't enter.

AL47 19:28 27 May 2009

ive won loads! im really lucky with Nigerian lotterys!

laurie53 20:28 27 May 2009

I get a lot of e-mails from Nigeria too.

Of course I'm not silly enough to fall for these lottery scams, but mine come from nice chaps who are having difficultly transferring money and who are offering me a goodly percentage if I just send my bank details!

Noldi 20:44 27 May 2009

I was asked to help some poor bloke out who had his millions trapped in Nigeria or similar and he was going to reward me handsomely.

Problem is I deleted his e-mail never mind next time.

Noldi

User-1229748 21:51 27 May 2009

i pity the genuine busineses in nigeria,the mere word nigeria is as good as saying delete.

bluto1 22:03 31 May 2009

I believe that, you believe that, but can you also believe that there are possibly hundreds who don't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?