New System - Random shut downs with no warning

CKT 16:28 19 Jun 2005

I have just built a simple system based on a new ASUS A7V600 mobo with new Sempron 2400 CPU and new 512 DDR RAM. I have fitted one HDD, a CDRW and An old GE Force 2 Ultra graphics card [which was working perfectly in another system that I have now upgraded.

This new system booted ok the first time and I loaded Win XP in the usual way. In the first couple of days I had 2 shutdowns for no reason; however, I also ran the system for several hours with no problems. But today, I have had several random shut downs. They can occur after running for up to an hour or within a couple of minutes of switch on. In every case, the system just stops with no warning and I can only restart by switching off at the mains socket, waiting for the standby power light on the mobo to go out and then switching the mains on again. I do not have to wait for anything to cool down – if I immediately switch mains off, wait for the light to go out and then switch on again, I can reboot. I have also monitored the temps and fan speeds with ASUS probe and at the time of shut down the CPU and MB temps were well below warning level. In fact a couple of the shut downs occurred immediately after the reboot whilst windows was still carrying out the error scan on the HDD.

I can think of nothing else but a fault with the MOBO but very grateful for advice on any other possible causes.

Very many thanks in advance

ICF 16:39 19 Jun 2005

How big is your power supply?
Can you try another stick of memory? (ie replace the one that's in)

Joe R 16:54 19 Jun 2005

CKT,

Can you check your bios, and see if your cpu is set to shutdown at a certain temperature.

I have an amd64 3200, which normally runs at 38 to 44%, but in the recent hot weather the temp has increased by around 5%.

Joe R 16:55 19 Jun 2005

Doh,

for % read degrees.

De Marcus 17:04 19 Jun 2005

Select Start | Settings | Control Panel from the Windows taskbar.

Open the System control panel.

select the advanced tab

Select the Startup/recovery settings option.

Uncheck the Automatically restart box

Select OK and then reboot the computer.

The next time your pc crashes it won't reboot, it will give you a BSOD, note the error message and post back here, it should help determine where it's going wrong.

gudgulf 18:08 19 Jun 2005

Oddly enough I have had a number of random freezes today too.Like yours they could occur anywhere between a few minutes to an hour or so and no warning BSOD's or other error messages.The temps registered by the cpu/motherboard/hard drive were all normal and acceptable and I could find nothing untowards in the system records .....I found that disconnecting my USB ADSL modem solved the problem.At least my son then played one of his games for almost 2 hours without problem and the pc is still running normally a further hour on.......Could it be coincidental that there are a large number of thunder storms around?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?