New System please help me re specs/price

Fitto 16:05 22 May 2005

I am about to buy new system. Heve received a quote for my needs. The specs are mine, but I could change, is this adequate for someone who will use MS Office a digital camera & wants to use the Dvd player to take advantage of their good monitor. Will sometimes use it as a games machine, but not much.
System quote.
2.8Ghz P4
Gigabyte 800MHzFSB Motherboard with sound
512Mb DDR Ram
GeForce 128Mb graphics Card
DVD-Rom Drive
Dual Layer DVD-RW Drive
Floppy Drive
120 Hard Drive
Windows XP Home Edition

x2 usb ports to rear x2 usb to front.

System £450
Data Transfer £30 (my request)
Total £480 (inc. delivery and set-up)

Is this good? what changes would you make?
Thanks, Ray.

AndySD 16:27 22 May 2005

GeForce 128Mb ...which GeForce card?

As AndySD says - Which GeForce graphics card, it can make a big difference.

Fitto 22:32 25 May 2005

I realise this is "low end" & could go for a slightly better card. I have read a few reviews, I realise it is far from "cutting edge" But If it will do me. Is the £450 plus £30 to install data for the system reasonable? Thoughts please, Ray.

I think you could do better for that amount of money seeing as the FX5200 graphics card is only about £25 to buy.

Pooke100 00:41 26 May 2005

indeed i have a fx5700 geforce 128mb and it's lousy.

Fitto 20:18 27 May 2005

Suggestions for a Graphics card appreciated. I do not wish to add too much to my cost. HELP! Ray

Totally-braindead 20:51 27 May 2005

If you play only old games the 5200 may be adequate but as the others have pointed out its the bottom of the range card, I would see how much it would cost for something like the ATI Radeon 9800 pro, its oldish now but will play anything, personally I have a GeForce 5900 not as good as the 9800 but it still plays everything so far. By the way if I was buying a new system I'd want to future proof it as far as possible and one of the things I'd want is PCI Express, this is the new graphics slot which has replaced the AGP slot and from what I have seen the cards are cheaper than their AGP equivalents. If you look in this months PC Advisor mag you'll see reviews of some of the budget cards and you'll also notice they are all PCI Express.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?