New start - help please

jarani 16:09 19 Mar 2006

A year ago I replaced my old faithfull Dan computer, which worked like a dream for 10 years,
with a new good monster which also works well on winxp2.

I replaced Dan because it became very slow - not because it stopped working. I now need a second computer for convenience upstairs for use mainly on wp and ss with occasional internet use and would like to speed up my old Dan. I want to have compatible software for floppy discs .

The Dan spec is Intel 166, 4 gb hard disc of which I can only use 2 gb because of mother board limitation and my hard disc is partitioned to suit, the operating system is win98se - all of which were upgrades over the years .

What are my options ?

Reformat the HD and start again with minimum software - win98se or winxp, works wp and ss
etc or clean up the Dan as it stands

What are my best options please, can you direct me to helpfull sites ? - jarani

Diodorus Siculus 16:35 19 Mar 2006

Format and re-install Win98 - don't even think of XP with a 166mhz processor!

Do you have broadband on the main PC? If so, get a wireless router and you can use the old machine upstairs.

jarani 16:55 19 Mar 2006

Dio - thanks, I have BB downstairs, if I go the wireless route, I know I can go online upstairs but can I then use all my software from downstairs online and have none installed upstairs, just the operating system ie win98, I am very keen to have the up/down stairs compatibility so as not to loose any data on my floppy discs which I did in the past due to different versions of works or word, please - jarani

Diodorus Siculus 17:04 19 Mar 2006

It will not be easy to use the software on the machine downstairs but you could network it in such a way that you can open and work on the files saved downstairs.

You will have to install the software on the machine upstairs - ifyou don't have a licence for the office software, you can try OpenOffice from click here it is pretty much compatible with MSOffice.

Batch 18:56 19 Mar 2006

If your budget will stretch a little way, I;d replace the Dan with a new PC. There are some good deals around.

For example, Dell have a a complete system, including 15" flat panel for £249!!! See click here

The link will show £347, but if you change the warranty to 1 year collect and rturn, it comes down to £249.

jarani 20:10 19 Mar 2006

Batch - I am rather attached to my Dan and I cannot bring myself to discarding a working computer - jarani

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone