New sound card freezes xp on booting up

damandblast 09:19 27 Jun 2008

Hi,
I have just installed a Creative Soundblaster x-fi Platinum fatality champion series sound card and when I turn the computer on it freezes (xp home) on booting up and doesn't even make it to the desktop. The motherboard is a Gigabyte S series GA-M51GM-S2G nvidea geforce 6100.
I disabled the onboard sound drivers before installation. I've removed the new sound card and everything works fine. I would think it's something to do with the pci slots? I'd be very grateful of any ideas.
Thanks

Technotiger 09:40 27 Jun 2008

You need SP2 with your XP Home.

Try re-fitting the card, may not have been fully seated first time.

damandblast 11:23 27 Jun 2008

Thanks for your responce Technotiger. I have SP2 and SP3 loaded. Also I've put the card in a few times and definitely seated it.
Cheers

Technotiger 12:07 27 Jun 2008

Could be a faulty card! If it is a recent purchase I would ask for a replacement card.

splatter 12:56 27 Jun 2008

does the same happen in safe mode? If not then you can be fairly certain that is the driver, not the harware.

Ditch999 13:38 27 Jun 2008

When you say you disabled the onboard sound drivers do you mean that you went in to the BIOS and disabled it?
XP sometimes loads its own driver for hardware. You need to make sure you followed the installation instructions exactly.

damandblast 17:02 27 Jun 2008

I disabled the sound drivers in Device Manager but will do it in the bios. I tried booting with the safe settings for the bios. I will try and boot up in safe mode when I put the card back in.
Thanks guys. I/ll let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?