New sound card?

al7478 12:48 22 Jan 2007

I have a set of 2.1 Logitech Z2300 speakers, with on board sound (Dell 5150).
What should I do if I want to optimise the sound with these?
Or am I getting the best out of them already? Would a sound card take some of the pressure off my processor?
I do'nt really understand sound or graphics cards, when I see the spec of them i can't tell a good'n from the rest, so what should I look out for in a decent sound card?
Its music I use my speakers for rather than games or films, if that matters.

CHEERS!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:44 22 Jan 2007

Would a sound card take some of the pressure off my processor?

No there will be a seperate sound chip on the mobo.

al7478 18:41 22 Jan 2007

So theres no point my getting a soundcard unless i can verify that itll improve my sound and give me more tweaking options then?
I've recently discovered some more options in wmp, and to tell you the truth im not unhappy with my sound, just looking to optimise it, if you see what i mean, but im very much a novice when it comes to computers and audio, even tho my second biggest priority (after standard internet and email use) with my pc is to use it as a stereo!

Mr Mistoffelees 18:47 22 Jan 2007

I don't know how good your speakers are but, a new good quality sound card will certainly improve the quality of the feed to the speakers.

al7478 18:57 22 Jan 2007

of the feed to the speakers?

Many thanks!

Totally-braindead 18:58 22 Jan 2007

If you'd asked this question 5 years ago I'd have told you to get a seperate sound card and decent speakers. But onboard sound has come on leaps and bounds and now is rather good.
Its differcult to advice without hearing your setup and knowing what YOU consider ok.
I could tell you to spend £100 on a great sound card and you might once you had it think it wasn't all that much better.
I did look up your speakers and they are rather expensive so perhaps it would be worth it. I don't know it depends on how important sound is to you. A decent seperate sound card would be better but how much better and whether it would be worth the outlay I'm unsure.

Totally-braindead 18:59 22 Jan 2007

Forgot to say agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\ it would make no real difference with the processor.

al7478 19:09 22 Jan 2007

would a soundcard give me more options for playing with the sound, considering the options already available in wmp11?

al7478 19:10 22 Jan 2007

T-B!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?