NEW SITE...WHAT SIZE PHOTOS?

rotormota 18:21 20 May 2005

I am constructing a new website using Serif Webplus 9. I just wondered how big (kbs/mbs) photos should be ideally when it goes online or does it not matter?

Cheers,
J

rotormota 21:05 20 May 2005

Thanks for that. So how do I reduce imported from file digital camera pics to nice small website friendly kbs. I currently have one on there at 1380x970 px 297kbs.

Cheers.
J

LeadingMNMs 21:28 20 May 2005

Obviously the smaller the better, whilst still preserving quality.

I use Adobe ImageReady, that is aimed at website pictures. Generally for a JPEG image you can get away with reducing the quality to medium, probably somewhere about the 40 mark.

I also use Microsoft Photo Editor (came with Office 2000, though the XP / 2000 version was more annoying to use).

Also, make sure that you crop all images to the area you want and resize all files to the size you want them to display at, rather than forcing the browser to do the resizing.

fly2hi 22:52 20 May 2005

try Irfanview, it's free and does the job. I found the batch conversion very convenient, just select all pics in a folder and set the options of which there are quite a few and it will resize, rename etc and drop the new images into another folder. I take it most other editors have this facility, I just found this handy when resizing hundreds of pics. Very easy to use.

Pesala 21:07 21 May 2005

I echo the advice to use Irfan View. Batch operations won't get the best results for all images, though its fine for the average photos.

The degree of compression you can use depends on the image data. For example, most photographs still look good when compressed quite a lot - say to a setting as low as 35 in Irfan View (though I would recommend 50 for general us, and 75 for high quality). Screen grabs, or images with sharply contrasting areas of colour, don't compress very well at all. It is often better to use GIF or PNG instead for such images, both for smaller file size and lossless image quality.

This site is a valuable resource about optimising Digital Images for the web. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?