New site tested

old&nojob 12:00 01 Oct 2006

I have produced a new site for someone (just for learning the ropes really but serious for them) and would like your expert opinions on any matter aesthetic or otherwise (slag it off as much as possible - I can take it!).

It's at [email protected]" title="http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]" TARGET="_new">click here

This is a temporary site for evaluation and the site is not formally published yet so please do not invoke emails from it.

PS I have tested against this web tester:

click here

and it passed all priorities except in priority 3 is asked for the "Lang" element to be included in the header. All other (usual) warnings I will deal soon as necessary). Now my header looks like this:

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "click here">
html xmlns="click here">
head>
meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
meta name="keywords" content="nursery, school, nursery school, private nursery schools, state, childcare, Wareham Dorset" />
meta name="description" content="A highly regarded Nursery school in Wareham Dorset" />
title>FOCUS Nursery School at Wareham /title>
link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
link rel="stylesheet" href="css/basicV1.css" type="text/css" />
style type="text/css">
@import 'css/autoSlideShow.css';
/style>
script type="text/javascript" src="js/DOMhelp.js"> /script>
script type="text/javascript" src="js/autoSlideShow.js"> /script>
script type="text/javascript">
document.write(' '+'style type="text/css">ul.slides li {display:none;}'+' '+'/style>');
/script>
/head>
body>
a name="Top"> /a>
END OF HEADER

Does anyone know where it goes?

ade.h 12:32 01 Oct 2006

Like this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"click here">
<html xmlns="click here" xml:lang="en" lang="en">

<head>

old&nojob 13:09 01 Oct 2006

The web address is a bit awry. Please use all from "http . . . . net.com". Thanks

PurplePenny 13:21 01 Oct 2006

Do remember that Hermish, in common with all accessibility testers, can only test a few points automatically. Have you also worked through all the manual checks that it suggests?

Hermish got critised on the WebAIM accessibility list but it was quite a while ago and it might have been improved since then. I think it may just have been because they are not really in favour of automated testing.

Oops... thunderstom... will be back later!

Forum Editor 13:57 01 Oct 2006

and is very difficult to follow.

This is partly due to the text, which is badly laid out, to the font, which is not conducive to easy reading, and to the navigation, which is confusing.

My advice is that you layout the text in tables, in short, sequential blocks. People look for visual cues when trying to read a page, and your site doesn't have any. You'll find that you can work wonders with a few line dividers separating subjects or sections.

Try the text in Verdana 10pt, and experiment with different colour contrast - green text on a tan background isn't the best combination from a clarity point of view, and it gives the pages a tired, washed-out look. See what happens when you try say, a very pale beige with dark blue text, or even a white background (my favourite) with blue or black text.

There are quite a few typos and spelling errors in the text as well.

old&nojob 18:36 05 Oct 2006

I will be working though the manual points and considering the points made by the editor. Thanks once again. I will discuss these issues with the 'customer'.

ade.h 22:31 05 Oct 2006

click here A few little tidy-ups that could be made.

PurplePenny 13:55 06 Oct 2006

A word of advice on cleaning up the problem that a validator throws up: always do them in order and revalidate after each one. Quite often one tiny mistake or typo produces dozens of errors.

PurplePenny 14:28 06 Oct 2006

You've used this numerous times. Leaving aside the fact that an id should be unique to a page (you'll see more on this in the validator report that ade.h linked to) you could just use a <strong> tag.

At the moment anyone with styles turned off, using a text browser or a screen reader, has no idea that these words are emphasised. (Which might be a good thing: I wouldn't want to hear a couple of words from every sentence spoken with emphasis.)

Do they really need emphasising at all?

IClaudio 16:02 06 Oct 2006

...on the 'Philosophy' page (wow, these Nursery schools are starting early...): in the first paragraph, 'guidence' and 'sponteaneously'. In paragraph two, 'shcool' and in para three, 'Sptember 2005'. Final paragraph, 'opportunitis'.

Also, in this final paragraph, you add, 'We have a range of relevant policies to read if you wish.' Why not a link to them?

On the Office page, 'this will be deducted off your bill' should probably be 'this will be deducted from your bill' and should there be a comma in 'All sessions booked, will be charged at the above rate'?

On the Activities page, 'each of the ares'. In the graphic, 'Mathmatical Devlopment'. And on this page, why not a link to the termly plans, or at least an example?

I havern't time to comb through the Daily Timetable ;)

None of the pages seems to have a 'Top of Page' anchor; at least, none of them works for me in Firefox, but I don't think that's a browser-dependant thing.

None of the pages has a title, that is, the text in the browser's title bar.

IClaudio 16:03 06 Oct 2006

is the ancient Celtic way of spelling it ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?