New set up

max10 13:33 01 Mar 2009

I am looking to install a wi-fi connection for a laptop in the house for internet connection and file/printer sharing with the desktop. The desktop is running Win XP and has a 1394 network adaptor, the desktop connects to the internet via an ADSL modem. The laptop is running WIN Vista and has an ATHEROS wireless network adaptor. Am I correct in saying that a wireless router with an ethernet connection can be connected between the modem and the desktop thus enabling the laptop, once setup to access the desktop and the internet, or am I barking up the wrong tree and require something else.

mgmcc 14:12 01 Mar 2009

>>> Am I correct in saying that a wireless router
>>> with an ethernet connection can be connected
>>> between the modem and the desktop

Generally "No" unless, unusually, you happen to be using an Ethernet ADSL Modem.

If you're currently using a USB ADSL Modem with the Desktop PC, this would be replaced with a *combined* wireless Router & ADSL Modem. The computers would then both connect to this either by ethernet cable or "wirelessly".

Does the Desktop PC actually have a "wired" network adapter installed? If so, it will appear in the Network Connections folder as the "Local Area Connection".

The 1394 adapter is *Firewire* and isn't suitable for connecting to a router.

max10 20:20 01 Mar 2009

Thanks for that mgmcc, under network connections in the control panel, local area network has a red cross through it but has an Nvidea n force networking controller ready to use, I take it this is what is required for connecting the desktop to the combined router via an ethernet cable?

mgmcc 23:10 01 Mar 2009

If it is shown as "Local Area Connection" (not "Local Area Network") then this is what you need to connect by ethernet cable to a router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?