New scanner needed - perhaps?

compumac 21:02 24 Apr 2008

It is six years since I purchased my Canon Canoscan N124U scanner and I wonder as to what improvements there have been with scanners since that date. It has been sufficient for my needs to date but I could believe that it is not upto scratch by todays standards with regard to scanning photographs.
Any suggestions as to recommended specifications?

Chas49 21:08 24 Apr 2008

compumac:

I've had an Epson Perfection V100 Photo now for over 12 months - very satisfied with it.
click here

compumac 21:24 24 Apr 2008

I have found that if I use my digital camera to photgraph a photograph I get a better image than by scanning with my Cano Canoscan. Is this to be expected or do I need a better scanner?

malgall 21:29 24 Apr 2008

i have an epson scanner
the scanner is great
epson software with the scanner is some of the best.
last xmas i brought one as a gift the epson v200
good price award wining scanner

Migwell 23:45 24 Apr 2008

Canon LIDE 25 about £38 from tesco. I use one of these and can't fault it. There is no need for a power supply as it just needs a USB cable to power it.

jack 08:30 25 Apr 2008

That a copy via digital camera route should be INFERIOR to a dedicated scanner I would have thought- disregarding the Megapixel con.
I guess a scanner can degrade over time - lamp brightness/colour temperature or even the way the software is set up- Document type/DPI/size
Things that can go to'default' setting and get overlooked.
Do a test - take a digi cam copy then a scanner one- checking the software is set up correctly for the job.
If the scanned image is still inferior - then go for it.

Diemmess 09:26 25 Apr 2008

"I wonder as to what improvements there have been with scanners since that date."

Many and various improvements across the board.
I too had to buy in a hurry and chose an Epson Perfection V100.

Light in weight, far cheaper than its predessor (also an Epson), added ability with light in lid for good scans of 35mm filmstrip or slides.

I was brand-loyal to Epson but Canon and others seem to have good reviews too.

compumac 21:57 25 Apr 2008

I have gone down the route of photographing photos with a digital camera and then scanning the same photo - both into photoshop CS2.The product from the digital camera is streets ahead, which is why I wondered as to whether more modern scanners would give better reproduction than my existing Canon Canoscan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone