new sata hard drive

chippy+ 23:55 24 Dec 2010

hi i am changing an 80g sata hard drive for a 500g sata hard drive do i just change over and apply the acronis image i have from my 80g drive or do i have to format the new drive file system is ntfs

thanks Chippy Merry Christmas to all

MarvintheAndroid 01:01 25 Dec 2010

You should be able to copy the image to the new drive and Acronis should automatically resize the image to fit the larger drive. There are also wizards in Acronis to do the job for you.

MarvintheAndroid 01:02 25 Dec 2010

PS no formatting needed, any format you do will be over written by the image file anyway.

gazzaho 10:44 25 Dec 2010

MarvintheAndroid

I don't mean to question the validity of your answer as it's been a while from I imaged a smaller drive to a larger one, but I seem to remember doing an image from a 400GB drive to a 750GB drive and I had to resize the 750GB drive in Windows 7 disk management in order to access the full drive size as the extra 350GB was reported as unallocated, not a big problem in Win 7, but in XP you would need partition software.

It was a while ago and, to be honest, I can't be sure it was a clone or image which was used. I just thought I'd mention it.

MarvintheAndroid 11:10 25 Dec 2010

It does depend which version of Acronis you have, but on later versions it shouldn't be a problem, especially if you use the wizard.

chippy+ 11:11 26 Dec 2010

hi all thanks for the replies
i have used a smaller image to a larger hard drive but the size between the 2 were not as big i have a acronis 11 image ready to use the version is v11 ( have tried 2011 but went back to 11) i also have easeus partition master which i think is great (east to use ) i will try the image but if it need extended i wll use easeus thanks for all your help Chippy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?