New sata hard drive

Liteman 17:14 10 Jan 2009

Hi - I'm trying to replace a failed IDE hard drive with a larger sata one.

The new one is in place and the sata lead taken from hard drive to motherboard. All other drives were previously disconnected.

Power lead connected to hard drive, PC connected to mains but when switched on, fan runs briefly and everything cuts out - no POST at all.

The drive is a Maxtor 1TB, motherboard is an MSI MS-6743 Micro ATX.

Could someone tell me what I've missed out, please?

canarieslover 17:25 10 Jan 2009

Don't forget that the MSI is only ATA 1.5. It will probably need special jumpering to recognize the Maxtor as that will be to the later spec. If it is XP you are trying to install you will need motherboard SATA drivers unless it is SP2.

Liteman 17:29 10 Jan 2009

Thanks - yes, it will be XP Home. I have the Windows CD and also one for SP2.

As I can't get it started at all, I can't download anything. Presumably the Windows CD will give the option to format if necessary?

canarieslover 17:38 10 Jan 2009

When you boot from Windows CD you should get an option to load SATA drivers. I believe its F6 but its a long time since I installed.

Liteman 17:41 10 Jan 2009

The problem is that when the power is turned on, the machine switches off after a few seconds. It doesn't stay on long enough to boot from the CD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:47 10 Jan 2009

Is it ok with the SATA drive disconnected?

canarieslover 17:48 10 Jan 2009

How much power does the Maxtor draw compared to your old drive? Your power supply may need upgrading.

Liteman 17:53 10 Jan 2009

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - I'll couple up the old one and see what happens.

canarieslover - I'll have a look to see if I can find it anywhere!

Liteman 17:57 10 Jan 2009

Nope - doesn't work with the old drive, so I've obviously messed something up somehwere, haven't I?

thms 18:11 10 Jan 2009

Start from scratch and check all connections and cards you may have accidently moved something.

Liteman 18:13 10 Jan 2009

The problem is that when the power is turned on, the machine switches off after a few seconds. It doesn't stay on long enough to boot from the CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?