new sata hard drive

2bathred 22:19 08 Feb 2007

In my machine I have a 160Gb drive connected via the IDE cable can I add another 160GB HD as a second disk using the SATA connection, 'cos I bought a SATA drive thinking thats what was already in there. Will XP detect this and install it for me or do I need drivers? or any other settings I have to make myself??

Totally-braindead 22:40 08 Feb 2007

XP will detect it and install it you shouldn't have to do a thing unless you have to enable the SATA in BIOS. Easily checked, plug it in and see what happens.

Quiller. 22:54 08 Feb 2007

Make sure you pick the right hard drive. They are two types of SATA drives. Some newer SATA 300 drives will not work on a SATA 150 motherboard.

2bathred 18:35 09 Feb 2007

I had another look at the mother board stats and it says data xfr rates of 150Mb. I presume this is what you mean. My new drive name ends in S300 is this the max xfr rate? I shall be waiting till my kids go back to school before I open up the machine.

Totally-braindead 19:31 09 Feb 2007

2bathred I don't know. Theres not enough info for me to identify it from that. It should say the make and there will be some sort of model number.
Go to the manufacturers website and you will find out there.

2bathred 20:48 09 Feb 2007

Thanks again.
I looked it up on the Manf site and yes 300mb is max rate. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

ed-0 21:55 09 Feb 2007

What is the make and model of the motherboard.

What is the make and model of the hard drive.

if you motherboard just has a capacity of SATA 150Mb, then the SATA hard drive needs to spin down to 150 standard. Some drives can do it automatically, some need jumpers and some can not go down to SATA 150 standard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?