New router/modem, fibre optic cable

RayDibble 18:52 05 Aug 2015

I have Talk/Talk broadband with fibre to a nearby box. I haven't been happy with the talk talk router/modem so I purchased a new one - a Belkin AC1800DB which describes itself on the box as a Wi-Fi Dual Band AC+ Gigabit Modem Router. I never gave a thought to the fibre connection and now I'm not certain that it is suitabl or that it has a modem. Can I use this router with fibre? Does it need a separate modem? if so recommendation please. Should I try to return the router and buy a purpose designed unit? once again recommendation please.

Secret-Squirrel 08:55 06 Aug 2015

..... and now I'm not certain that it is suitabl or that it has a modem. Can I use this router with fibre?

If your "nearby box" is the white OpenReach fibre modem then you can connect the Belkin to that. If not, or if you'd prefer an all-in-one device with built-in fibre modem, get back in touch for a reasonably-priced recommendation.

RayDibble 10:49 06 Aug 2015

The box I was referring to is the BT box on the street.

An all in one device with a built in fibre modem would seem to be the answer and your recommendation would be appreciated, but if I have a problem returning the Belkin then. Fibre modem might be the answer and a recommendation for that would be welcome.

Secret-Squirrel 16:16 06 Aug 2015

An all in one device with a built in fibre modem would seem to be the answer and your recommendation would be appreciated,

Here you go Ray. To set it up, simply choose the quick setup option, select "TalkTalk vDSL" from the list of UK ISPs and enter your broadband username and password.

Fibre modem might be the answer and a recommendation for that would be welcome.

There's only one model available and it's the "BT Openreach fibre modem". However it's likely to cost as much as the above router so it's not really worth considering as an option.

1]: [click here

rdave13 17:13 06 Aug 2015

Secret-Squirrel, once out of contract that's the one I'll be going for. (Plusnet).

Secret-Squirrel 08:32 07 Aug 2015

..............that's the one I'll be going for.

Thanks Dave - it's a good performer.

There's one important thing I forgot to mention regarding the setup and that's to make sure the "Enable VLAN" box is ticked and the "VLAN ID" is set to 101. The same applies to BT and TalkTalk users too.

rdave13 09:10 07 Aug 2015

Yes SS, I saw that in one of the reviewer's comment on Amazon. A little setting that if you didn't know about could keep you angrily amused for hours... :)

RayDibble 10:55 07 Aug 2015

Thanks very much for your advice, Secret-Squirrel, which I shall be following. Incidentally Maplins are selling the TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router a little cheaper.

Thanks again.

Secret-Squirrel 12:07 07 Aug 2015

Incidentally Maplins are selling the TP-LINK.............a little cheaper.

I can't see it on the Maplin website so I'll have to take your word for it. I'm surprised it's cheaper there as I've always found they charge silly prices for things.

RayDibble 12:26 07 Aug 2015

Sorry S-S, you are correct, I was looking at the TP Link TD W8980

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?