New router required for fibre update

Joesef 15:27 15 May 2015

I have been recently upgraded to fibre (Not cable), for which it has been necessary to use a so called 'Talk Talk super router' as my original Netgear N600 (3700v2) does not seem to sense the fibre input signal from the BT line. The replacement router was supplied by Talk Talk, and indeed works, Is it correct that the Netgear does not interface with the BT fibre technology?

Jollyjohn 15:48 15 May 2015

Ask here - click here

I recently upgraded and purchased a tp link router click here from Amazon for £70. This replaces the BT openreach modem and the supplied router so I have one box doing both jobs and it works fine.

alanrwood 20:22 15 May 2015

A fibre connection requires a fibre modem which is either a separate unit or built into a fibre router. A separate modem connects to the Wan port of any other type of router and uses the DHCP facility to allocate IP numbers to the connected computers, printers etc.

I am not familiar with the TalkTalk super router but I would guess it is a combined modem and router unit. Maybe someone else who is more familiar can confirm this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?