New router for new ISP contract

johndrew 16:32 13 Aug 2010

Not really one for a lot of help but a question nevertheless.

I changed my package supplied by Orange the other day and received a new Netgear router to replace the ADSL/USB Speedtouch modem originally supplied - presumably because it could only cope up to around 6Mbps download speed and the new package was quoted as 8Mbps.

Having unpacked it and set it up (surprising how easy it was; and how much I had forgotten!) I looked at the LAN connection speed quoted on the popup window - 100Mbps.

A quick speed check showed it to be a more likely 5.6Mbps but I did wonder where the number came from. Do ISPs always over-egg by several 100% or is it something to do with the LAN connection?

Many thanks in anticipation of any indicators.

Ian in Northampton 16:38 13 Aug 2010

100Mbps is the speed, I would have thought, of your internal LAN (or its theoretical speed, if you don't have one) - nothing to do with your external connection to the web. I may be wrong,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:40 13 Aug 2010

No
windows is just showing the type of Ethernet connection card capabilities

johndrew 17:09 13 Aug 2010

Many thanks for that people. I didn't think my 'phone line would be able to cope with that sort of speed without melting!!

One other point you may be able to answer. With the USB modem I used to get the icon in the task bar when connected. Although I still have the box ticked for the LAN connection the icon takes a couple of minutes to appear and the LAN icon in Control Panel/Network Connections shows 'Disabled' even though I'm online. Anything I can do about this or just live with it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:37 13 Aug 2010

Uninstall your old network connection and the USB drivers for the old sped touch modem.

johndrew 20:19 13 Aug 2010

I uninstalled it all prior to installing the router which is why I found I had forgotten I needed to reconfigure mail to the new device.

It still gives problems (not indicating the connection) regardless of what I try. It does show connected eventually though. Could this be a feature of Netgear routers?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?