New router-laptops not connecting wirelessy

SparkyJack 09:53 08 Oct 2014

Upgraded from bthomehub2 to 5

Whilst tablet connected effortlessly,two laptops,whilst seeing the router and the key entered they boot connect All work on LAN. Your thoughts please.

Woolwell 10:17 08 Oct 2014

The BT HomeHub 5 has dual frequency. It could be that the tablet can use either but that the laptops can only use 2.4. There should be a separate SSID for each frequency.

woodchip 10:18 08 Oct 2014

Laptop Encryption Problems. check out new laptops can handle the above

Woolwell 10:28 08 Oct 2014

woodchip - no mention that the laptops are new. Could be more of a problem with encryption of the laptops are old and cannot cope with the newer versions.

SparkyJack 14:44 08 Oct 2014

Wool well Indeed one of the laptops very bold so the cause you mention could be the issue there.

Another DellE5400 therefore not new but not old either,does connect but only brings up the BT broadband toolkit.

This has been installed,but won't go away,no matter what browser, the page keeps 'crashing over to fill the screen.

SparkyJack 17:09 08 Oct 2014

Wool well

Please expand on SID

I note in the handbook mention is made of an ac- dongle.

Is this related?

Woolwell 18:01 08 Oct 2014

I'm not sure whether the BT Home Hub has a similar set up to the Virgin one, which is what I use. The Virgin router has dual frequency which are both broadcast at the same time but have different SSID's (names). One of my older laptops could only use the 2.4 range and not the 5. Oddly an older laptop could use both!

ac-dongle is probably not related.

I think that you need more help from someone who is familiar with the BT Hub.

SparkyJack 20:20 08 Oct 2014

The primary reason for all is the broadband tool installed page which I installed,but the page which is web based is simpy overcriding all othercattemps to close. I thought the machine was not online. But it has downloaded a tranch of W 7 updates.

So it is 'online' but the wretched btvset up page wont go away.

Keep on poking ,we will get there

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?