New router

Davella 02:04 16 Dec 2010

I have a new laptop and want to use a netgear 150n (cable)through my existing Virgin cable modem (currently used by my desktop). The problem is a sweet lady on the Virgin help line said she didn't thing it would work through my existing modem but I could get a new cable/router from them for £4 a month extra. I'm rather sceptical. Any advise please as I'v never used a router before.

gengiscant 08:13 16 Dec 2010

Does this relate to your situation?click here
As far I can make out you should be able to connect your Netgear through your existing cable modem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:35 16 Dec 2010

"a sweet lady on the Virgin help line said she didn't thing it would work through my existing modem"

I think this sweet lady is on commission

you should just be able to connect your modem to the wlan connection on the netgear then connect the PC via wire (ethernet cable) run the setup disk, set wireless security if you intend to use wireless connections then your ready to go.

Bris 19:32 16 Dec 2010

Virgin modems appear to store the MAC address of the equipment they are connected to so if you connect a different device then you have to switch off the modem first otherwise it wont recognise the router.

The procedure is as follows

1. turn everything off.
2. run a cable from the modem to the WAN port on the router.
3 turn on the modem and wait for it to boot (allow 1 minute).
4. turn on the router and wait for it to boot.
5. turn on your PCs.

If you have an Internet settings page in the router configuration, dont touch it as the modem should work.
Its best to connect one PC to the router with an Ethernet cable so that you can configure the router.

I have a D-Link router connected and never had a problem. I suspect the sweet lady you spoke to was a sales person and not a technician!

Davella 00:54 17 Dec 2010

Thanks for the feedback. I spoke to a charming man on the Virgin helpline today who said he couldn't see any problems at all. My sceptocism appears to well placed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?